Chapter 10

Naruto sighed in relief as they finally made it back to the village. It was always good to be back home, especially after a mission such as this one. S-rank missions always got his blood pumping, but the aftermath was equally exhausting, more mentally than physically.

Come to think of it, since they fought two S-rank nin, would that constitute this mission as SS-rank?

His train of thought was interrupted by someone nudging him in the side. Kakashi was looking at him with an eye smile. His voice had a teasing tilt to it as he spoke. "Ryo for your thoughts?"

Naruto frowned as he looked to the ground. "Nothing of consequence....yet. Let's just report to the Hokage and get this over with."

Kakashi turned his eyes back to the front after a moment, but his thoughts kept going back to the battle. Never in his life before had he seen a jutsu that was so devastating, and never before had he seen someone do a jutsu of that scale done by a single person.

But perhaps, that is what Minato-sensei had in mind, didn't he?

Kakashi had always believed that Naruto would eventually surpass his old man, but to think he did so at such a young age...there was still so much potential yet to be explored. It frightened him to even speculate what Naruto would be like when he reached his prime. As per protocol, they dropped by the hospital to hand over Kakuzu's body for autopsy.

In the Hokage's office, Tsunade addressed them for the post-mission debrief. "Good work everyone. And it looks like sending you was a wise choice, Naruto. This marks your second successful mission as a leader. Good job."

Naruto gave a nod in acknowledgment.

"This mission marks a significant victory of ours against Akatsuki, but don't relax just yet. There's still work to be done. Dismissed."

Naruto eased out of attention and turned to exit the office. Right now, he just wanted to enjoy some hot water bath, preferably with his wife. He saw Shikamaru walking away with his team, heading for the bridge. Turning, he saw Haruto walking up to Sakura and talking to her. Sakura responded with a smile and they walked off, likely heading for a post-mission meal.

They seem to be doing that quite frequently, he mused to himself.

A hand draped over his shoulders from behind, and a whiff identified his company. "So, are you going to tell me about it?"

Naruto gave the man a glance out of the corner of his eyes. "About what?"

"About how you managed to complete the Rasengan?"

His lips twitched. "Maybe....in time."

If it weren't for his mask, Naruto would have thought that Kakashi was pouting. "Come on, don't tempt me like that."

"I don't know Kakashi. I thought a genius like you would have figured it out by now."

Playing on someone's pride wasn't something Naruto liked to do, but he wanted to be left alone right now, and Kakashi was annoying him. But Kakashi was not just anyone. Giving one of his iconic smiles, he retorted. "If I had figured out, you would have known."

Damn. That was true. Kakashi's loyalty to his father ran deep.

"I would like to know as well, Naruto."

Naruto stifled a groan as Yamato joined them. What was this, the jonin lounge?

He raised an eyebrow towards the nin, who just gave a smile. "For professional curiosity."

Naruto released a deep sigh of exasperation. "You won't leave me alone till I tell you, will you?"

Kakashi cheerfully responded. "Nope!"