Chapter 3: Avery Soren, The Rogue

Chapter 3

"Just Bane." Came the alluring voice of the most powerful man alive.

Bane stood in the middle of the woods looking serene. Today Alpha Bane Cohen wore a thick leather jacket and some jeans that were probably worth more than my life.

It was no doubt that the Shadow Howlers is the richest pack. They had the biggest land and the biggest amount of numbers.

Bane eyed me with curiosity in those beautiful silver orbs of his. "What are you doing walking in the woods alone?" He asked looking around the trees and the bushes that surrounded us.

He looked heavily concerned for some reason like he knew someone was watching.

Did he see yellow eyes?

"Oh, Marco left early for school so I'm walking." I answered approaching him and almost tripping as I did.

Bane was a good sight to see despite everything. "You're cold." He observed looking at my poor choice of clothes.

I was about to shake my head and say I was fine when I felt a big warm heavy material drape around my shoulders.

Almost immediately his musk smell invaded my nose. Oh god. He smelled good.

Bane had took his leather jacket off and was wearing nothing but a shirt in the cold morning.

"Alpha-" He cut me off by the glare that he shot me. "I mean- Bane, no." I continued feeling sweaty with nervousness from his presence. "You'll get cold." I say getting the jacket off me but he held it in place.

"I'm fine. You need it more than I do." He shrugged taking my wrist and leading me out of the woods and to the street where his black sports car was.

Why was he being so nice? Didn't pack people hate rogue folk? Why was he associating himself with a petty rogue? An unshifted rogue for that matter.

How'd he even know I was there?

I welcomed the heat that his car gave off as I leaned towards it. "Mhhhhmmm... Heat." I groaned feeling my fingers tingle.

Bane watched me from his seat an amused look on his face. I notice that he always did that. Watch me and look intrigued at the simple things I did.

"What?" I asked when his gaze made my heart flip off again. Damn you, heart.

Bane shook his head another habit he does when he's trying to school his emotionless uncaring face back. "Nothing."

My phone suddenly buzzed bringing my attention away from Bane. A picture of a silly faced Marco appeared in the screen.

I screamed internally.

Be cool. Be cool, Avery. Be cool.

"Hey, hottie lamottie." I answered my voice a tone higher than my usual.

Beside me Bane tensed burning the side of my face with a stern look.

"Where are you?" Was Marco's immediate response.

I flinched trying to keep my breathing normal. "On my way to school. Why?"

"Just checking in, Ave." He said with a sigh like him being unable to be beside me hurt him.

I couldn't help but smile at that. "I'm okay, Coco. I'm safe." I reassured using my pet name for him.

Marco. Goddess, how lucky I was to have a Marco who always looked out for me. Being an unshifted wolf wasn't an easy life.