The Beach

You spent the night tossing and turning, and trying desperately to fall asleep, but to no avail. You stretched as you climbed out of your DIY bed, and the morning sun filled the supermarket up. Today you were going to join a game. You wanted to prove that you could do it. You could win games without exploiting others. Moreover, you wanted to prove this to yourself too. All of your life, you convinced yourself that you weren't good enough to manage anything. So you suppressed your hopes and dreams down and hid them away, settling on a profession which you didn't even want to pursue.

You got dressed and tied up your hair neatly so that you can be fully focused and ready for whatever the game may be. Grabbing your items, you walked out of the supermarket and towards the light where the next arena was. As you approached it, you noticed a few people going in. You also saw cars parked outside. Since you came here, you had learnt that no electricity was working, and cars also weren't working. So where did these cars come from? How were they working? You entered the arena held in an abandoned warehouse. It scared you to think about what could happen in there, but at this point you had nothing to lose and nothing to gain, you just had to try.

-

You and your teammates exited the arena, panting and running, with injuries all over your bodies. Two girls stood besides you, reeled over and catching their breath. Though, luckily, there weren't any deaths in this game, it was brutal, and terrifying. The good thing is that you came out alive. You made it.

"Thank you for helping us back there" one girl in a yellow bikini with orange flowers on it spoke.
"If you hadn't helped me out, I would've died for sure" the other girl spoke. Oddly enough, the two of them were wearing swimsuits. You wondered wether they were on the beach before coming to this world, so you decided to ask them. "No problem. By the way, I can't help but notice you're both wearing swim suits. Were you on the beach when all the people disappeared?" You asked. The girls looked surprised, and looked between eachother, gulping. They fell silent and paused before speaking, "since you helped us, I'll tell you something" the girl in yellow pulled you in close to her and whispered, "there is a place called 'the beach'. That's where we go after the games. You can stay there and there's lots of people there" Your eyes widened as you looked at her. Such a place existed? If everyone was there, it surely must be safer than staying alone in an abandoned supermarket. Plus, atleast you wouldn't be lonely. "You can come with us if you want. We came in a car" she said, gesturing towards a blue car parked infront of the arena. "Oh this is yours! How did you get a car to work here?" You asked.
"It's all given to us by the beach. Join us. We have so many parties all day and all night! It's really fun! But you can't tell others about this or we might get in trouble and so will you" she warned. You nodded quickly and followed them into the car.

-

After a long drive, the car pulled up to a large hotel resort, with spray paint writing over the sign, saying 'The Beach'. "This is it!" One girl exclaimed, hopping out of the car. You climbed out through the door and looked at the resort. There were so many people just stood outside. You could hear music coming from the backside of the resort and could smell alcohol strongly lingering in the air. You scrunched your face at the scent of it and wondered what type of resort you'd actually gotten yourself into. You curiously followed the two girls as they led you inside. You were shocked to see that there were hundreds of people inside, all partying and having fun like nothing else was happening in this world. Colour LED lights blared into your eyes and the music only got louder, attacking all of your senses. The air was thick and sweaty as hundreds of people were stuffed into one room, all dancing and drinking and partying. "What's happening-" you cut off your words as you turned around and saw that the girls had disappeared and left you on your own in the middle of this massive crowd. People surrounded you and you struggled to squeeze past them but eventually you reached the side of the room. You rested against the wall and looked around. There was a large window and door connecting to the backside of the resort, where there was a huge pool and music with people dancing there too. Did these people only party? It felt weird to see this many people having fun and pretending like those horrible games didn't exist.