seven

"Alice!"

Only when my name was shouted once again that I broke out of the stupid trance I was in, halfway panicking and halfway grateful when I saw the frown on my mother's face morphing into a look of dubious confusion.

She was confused. I could say the same for myself.

"Who--"

"I should probably go check who that is!" I blurted out, eyes widening when I realized I'd cut off my mother again, and started taking a few steps out of the kitchen.

"I'll come with you." Mom narrowed her eyes.

"No!" I shook my head. "Stay here. I'll be back in..." I trailed off and practically dashed out of there, nearly slamming into Uncle Sam before weaving my way through the bustling circle my cousins had made around one of the family photo albums, and heading towards the front door.

Alyssa waited for me right there, smiling and gesturing at me to come closer a little faster.

"Who is it?" I asked her with wide eyes, eyeing the front door that was open ajar.

"Looks like your Soren's here!" She squealed. She actually squealed and I felt the horror settling inside me.

I had this tiny little moment of absolute terror where I thought it must be Nico and he had somehow gone along with his suggestion back at my dorm. He was here pretending to be Soren.

Or at least that's what I thought until Alyssa added, "And oh my God, you should've warned Auntie Frannie! She's totally gonna fall for those soulful blue eyes."

I blinked. Then I blinked again. Blue eyes. All of a sudden, my stomach lurched and I had this feeling that I might throw up. I hadn't even had any wine yet!

Soren was here, I realized with dread. It must be him. Just behind that wooden door stood my boyfriend who wasn't my boyfriend anymore but everyone in this house thought that he was.

"I...I..." I stuttered, inching away from the door.

A furrow formed in between Alyssa's dark brows. "What's the matter?"

"Give me a few minutes," I spoke in a rush before pulling open the door and throwing myself outside, ready to speak clearly and directly with Soren when I looked up, in front of me, and everything came to a rather abrupt halt.

Or my heart did. I wasn't quite sure right then.

Because right in front of me wasn't Soren or anyone who resembled Soren, or Nico even. No, it was Ryder.

"What." My eyes must've resembled saucers by then. "What are you doing here?"

There he was, standing right before me, looking exactly the same as that night at Soren's apartment. Only his attire was different. A gentle breeze blew past and sent one dark lock of his hair over his forehead, disheveling it all, almost as if to prove me wrong.

No, this really wasn't the same at all. Because Ryder wasn't supposed to be here. Not here, standing in front of me and in front of my house.

"Ryder." I hissed out.

"Alice." He spoke in that infuriatingly calm voice of his and I hated it right then. I hated that it caused a chill to run down my spine.

"What are you doing here?" I repeated, shaking my head--hoping that would be enough of a hint to make him leave.

Because if anybody saw him...if anybody saw him...there were people in the backyard who could round up the corner any given second and see him!

"What does it look like I'm doing here?" He asked me, slowly following my gaze to the back patio as I looked around anxiously.