Chapter 17 - Phobias

Not much changed in this chapter... but enjoy! And just think, tomorrow... a brand new, never before read (by most) chapter will be posted!

Enjoy and don't forget to vote/comment

Shawn:

            I shot Jordan a look, but the high pitched scream jerked my attention to Ely. She was practically dancing in place, attempting to dislodge the spiders that rained down from the ceiling. I quickly made my way over to her and cringed at the crunching bodies under my feet.

            Jordan quickly brushed the spiders off of himself now that they were done falling, and then he did the same for Ely before quickly picking her up. Dominic took his hat off and shook it hard to dislodge the spiders. "Is everyone alright?" I asked.

            Dominic seemed to be taking inventory of himself and grimaced, "I think I moved too quickly. I'm bleeding again. Other than that, I'm fine."

            Jordan nodded, "I'm good, but I don't think Ely is. Can we get out of here now?" He lifted his leg slightly and shook it when another spider attempted to climb up.

            I nodded, "Let's finish this, and then we'll be to head back to our place." I handed the smooth orb to Dominic. "Let me have her." I filled my voice with command, leaving no room for arguments. Ely was shaking so hard that I was afraid Jordan would drop her.

            Jordan glanced down at Ely before he handed her to me and took the lead. We didn't have any problems getting out of the cave and back to the gate. Mrs. Hellen was standing there to meet us. "I congratulate the four of you for getting past the poison trap and getting the object. I didn't think anyone would trigger that last trap, or I would have waited until tomorrow to add them to the course. I apologize for that."

            I had been worried about Ely's reaction to the spiders, but her shaking suddenly stopped as she took a few deep breaths. She struggled briefly, and my options were to either drop her or set her down, so I opted for the latter and set her on her feet. Her knees buckled and Dominic caught her. I started to pick her back up, but she shook her head. "I'm f-fine."

            I frowned, "You're not fucking fine." I stated.

            She sighed softly, and Dominic said, "Let's just head up to our rooms. I'm feelin' a bit light headed."

            I nodded, "Fine. We'll get back to our room and, if no one has any objections, we'll hold a team meeting."

            The others simply nodded, and Jordan and I helped Ely across the campus and up to the fourth floor of our building.

Ely:

            My legs shook nearly the entire walk back to our rooms. I'd been terrified of spiders since I was little, and various teachers had helped me try to get over it. We had made a little progress, and I could now handle one or two spiders (by handle, I meant I wouldn't have a complete meltdown, I'd only run screaming from the room.), but handling a bunch of spiders as they fell on me and clung to my skin and clothes...? I couldn't handle that.

            A tremor ran through my body at the memory of a bunch of large spiders climbing on me. I could feel the shivering start up again and leaned against our doorway as the others went inside. Shawn put his arm around my shoulder, possibly sensing that it was important for me to prove I wasn't the weak link in our team once more.

            "Jordan, can you page the nurse to our room to take a look and Nic?" Shawn pulled me down to the couch with him and stretched his long legs out in front of himself. He slipped a hand under my knees and turned me slightly so that I was half in his lap.