chapter 12

Khauhelo Mohato
Netcare South Africa

I was woken up by machines beeping.

I heard two voices speaking in a distance.

I open my eyes and soon close them because of how bright the room was;I open them again after sometime finally adjusting to the brightness.

"Mrs Zulu;you are awake"A doctor says with a smile.

I try seating up but she stops me;"you need to rest"

I touched my stamoch that felt very empty;"Doctor?"She frowns when she sees where I'm going with all of this.

"I'm sorry Mrs Zulu it was either you or the babies and your husband made it very clear that if you passed away he'd kill all of us so we ha-"I shake my head no

Tears threatened to come out but I stopped them;"babies?"She nods before saying;"Twins"

"Can I please be alone?"she nods;"I'll have your discharge forms be prepared"she announces before closing the door behind her.

I took in deep breaths not knowing what to do with myself;at this moment I wanted to dissappear on the surface of the earth.

I wanted to jump out of this window that was probably three or four stories up.

The door opens and my cousin,ikanyeng enters the room holding balloons.

"Nana"she says dropping everything on the floor and making her towards me;she pulls me in for a hug.

Tears begin to run down my face as she rubbed my back,"I'm so sorry you have to go through all of this"She says and we have a moment of silent that lasts about two mintues before Bukhosi and Langa enter with Mac Donalds packages in their hands.

"Mommy"Bukhosi says running my way;"you grew so much since the last time I saw you"i say making her giggle.

"I missed you soo much"I say to her and she says it back planting a kiss on my cheek.

"This is Aunty Ika"I say and she nods;"I didn't know you had a child she looks just like you when you where young" Attempting to pick up Khosi who shys away by putting her finger in her mouth.

"She just shy"i say and she nods.

"Sawubona"Langa greets her;"Hello"Ikanyeng greets shaking his hand.

He seats down on a chair that was on the other side of the room.

"Mamane a re o batla ho bona"She announces and the colour drains out of my face.

She referred to my mother as,Mamane.

She can either be the worst person you've ever met or the best person you've ever met.

"Why?"I ask earning a laugh from her;"she has the right to see you;shes your mother remember?"i nod beacause it was quite suprise.

"When?"

"When ever you are ready to do so"she explains and I nod we chat a little before she leaves.

The room fell quiet.

My daughter slept beside me while Langa was staring straight into my soul.

"You making me uncomfortable"I say and he let's out a deadly chuckle.

"Really?"he says and I nod;"would you care to explain to me why the doctor told me that you where miscaring?"He questions he voice was as cold as ice.

"I-"

"You cheated on me?"I stare at him in disbelief

We weren't even together.

"YOU SLEPT AROUND AND FELL PREGNANT!!"He shouts and I remain quiet not believing the words coming out of his mouth

"YOU ARE SUCH A SLUT!!"He states

"Slut?you forget that we aren't even together right?"

"The only thing that's bringing you and I together is Bukhosibemvelo;I didn't react this way when you where with your "wife" akere?"I say and he

He makes his way towards me;"YOU ARE MINE KHOTHATSO"

"I'm not yours Langalibalele"

His eyes change colour and the next thing I know his strangling and repeatedly hitting my head against the pillow.

I'm screaming loudly but no one is entering room.

My daughter on the other hand is asleep;thank God I wouldn't want her to see her dad like this.

"Langa I can't breath"

"SAY YOU ARE MINE!"He demands and when I say no he starts slapping me repeatedly.

I scream for help but no one comes to rescue me.