A Very Heart-Filled Confession

December

Days passed in the Workshop. Things were getting back to normal... well, my normal, and I loved it. I loved showing Charlie around, seeing his excitement, and helping him plan up safer upgrades to Santa's sleigh. And yes, I loved seeing Bernard daily again... it was practically two whole months I had to spend seeing him only twice, so yes, I'll admit that I missed seeing him. Christmas drew nearer, and Bernard continued to prepare me for things I might see while helping deliver presents, the rogue dog, the sleepless child, or worst of all to look out for, the confused grandma.

He walked Dad and me through the sleigh room, explaining to us all the upgrades they had made.

"Charlie's got some great ideas on how to keep you both safe." Bernard said. "Santa, this is Quintin head of research and development." He introduced Dad and Quintin, a long-haired "British Elf" who I'd already met.

"Quintin, good to meet you."

I nodded at Quintin and he stuck his hand out for Dad to shake. "Hello, Santa." He said, his braid flying side to side. Charlie sat in the back of the sleigh with a hard hat on.

"Charlie, Angie, and I have put our heads together. I think we have some good surprises for you." Quintin walked around the other side of the sleigh.

"This is some of the best stuff that's come out of the workshop since the ball." Bernard announced proudly.

Bernard quickly ducked out after saying that. It reminded me a bit of my first day here, Dad and I chasing Bernard down for him to explain more, because Dad then said, "Fabulous. What happens if I fall off the roof?!" He yelled as Bernard continued to walk away.

I snickered and ran after Bernard. Quite boldly on my behalf, I grabbed his hand. He had a small smile on his face, and although he was trying to play it cool, I could tell by the tiny sparkles in his eyes that he was happy. I didn't really care what the other elves felt or thought now, it mattered more what I did... and he did. It seemed like there was more self-acceptance going on than just Dad finally accepting his Santaness.

Dad chased on after us. "Hold on, where are you guys going? Why are you holding hands?"

"Santa don't you know the drill? Follow along and I'll show you what you need to see next." Bernard said obviously. He brought us into another testing room. "Fireplaces will no longer be a problem." He said, showing my brilliant design of a fireproof undersuit for Dad, shooting flames from both sides. I had my fingers crossed, but as soon as the flames died, the suit was spotless. I had worked with Shirley to make it perfect, and I was rather proud of our work.

"It's a new fabric." I smiled proudly, "Completely flame retardant."

"It's light, but durable," Said Shirley, who had brought the suit in today, and was standing off to the side.

"And you can wear the jumpsuit under your coat and pants," Judy smiled.

"But what do I do if I fall off a roof?" Dad questioned with his hands.

Bernard seemed to be a little smug, crossing his arms with a small smirk. I couldn't tell why he would have this reaction. It was a real question that I also had that he simply explained off as, "You won't fall off the roof.", so sure about it, almost as if he was hiding something else. I gave him a quizzical look.

I had suggested jet packs, parachutes, and even an inflatable mattresses in case something happened and we fell off, but Bernard... and every other elf for that matter, seemed very confident that wouldn't happen.

Christmas Eve inevitably came. The Workshop was all in a hurry, and the days leading up were just as stressful. It was all about getting everything in the sleigh, making sure Santa was up to weight, and Bernard getting worried that I wasn't as trained as I should be, even though I was.