Bernard, I Wanna Buy These Shoes, Not for My Mama, Please.

The next day, I have to say, was one of the strangest experiences I've had with an elf. Not, that I have had very many experiences with Elkind, but of the growing list of experiences, this definitely sat on the top of the list.

I woke up at seven, bright sunlight bursting through my windows. It was a nice Saturday morning, and normally, I would sleep in for longer, but I awoke to a scream... sorry, I mean a "yell" from down the hallway. I threw off my blankets and followed the sounds of distraught down to Dad's room.

When I ran into his bathroom, the same yelp escaped from my lips. "What happened to you??"I quickly realized that Dad was exaggerating yesterday when he had mentioned that he gained 40 pounds. Overnight it had seemed that he had really gained that much weight or perhaps more. The patchy beard from the day before was back too, only a bit longer, and a little more white looking.

We just stared at eachother, before he said, "I- think there's something wrong with the mirror!" He yelled at me.

"I think there's something wrong with your metabolism!" I managed to respond, equally as loud.

Okay, here's the thing. When coming to accept something as fact, there are many many times you are going to backpedal, take two steps back and only one forward. Even though in our subconscious, we knew it was inevitable that we were going to change and be holly jolly Christmas figures for the rest of our lives, at the same time, it was easy to forget. Life would almost seem normal until one of these weird things would happen, and because of that, it was very simple to act shocked, even when it was expected.

Dad quickly turned and sped walked to the bathroom scale. The number climbed higher and higher and he jumped off. "Something is wrong with the scale too!" He looked at himself in the mirror and screamed again.

"Okay! Just calm down!" I grabbed his shoulders.

"I can't calm down, I have a big work meeting this morning! I can't go in looking like this! None of my suits are going to fit!" He turned and started pacing back and forwards with his face in his hands and cursing under his breath.

"Well, you're going to have to do the best you can!" I walked over to his nearby closet. "Here, you have this nice jacket! It was Grandpa's, and it's an extra large!" 

During this whole conversation, we continued to yell at eachother, either because the other person kept yelling, or because we were both so freaked out, I didn't know.

Dad grabbed a pair of dress pants and went around the corner, but from the grunting and jumping noises, I knew he wasn't about to get into them unless he ripped a few seams. He came out from around the corner with the button squeezing in his stomach, very uncomfortable looking, and his fly begging to open up on himself.

"Look! This will work!" Dad's face was red, and, in the most respectable way ever, he very much looked like an actual muffin.

I grimaced but tried to muster a smile and nod.

He simply breathed and the button flew off, hitting a lamp with a small "Ping!"

"I don't know about those." I bit my lip, not sure if I should laugh, cry, be scared, or feel sympathy. The emotion I was experiencing was a very strange mix of all four things.

"Okay, okay, okay, okay-" He grabbed a pair of grey sweatpants then paused. "Hold on, you have magic superpowers right? Can't you make them fit Santa? Isn't that considered a Christmas thing??" He asked desperately.

"Uh..." I shrugged, "I can try..." I answered a bit embarrassed.

Dad held out another pair of dress pants out from his dresser and held them out in front of him. The waistband of the pants looked like it would perfectly fit around the circumference of one of his now giant legs.