Chapter Eight

"Love is everything it's cracked up to be. That's why people are so cynical about it...It really is worth fighting for, being brave for, risking everything for. And the trouble is, if you don't risk anything, you risk even more." -Erica Jong

            Darren gentle pulled back from me, his eyes closed and his lips pressed together. I leaned back against the door and tried to catch my breath. My lips felt swollen from our kisses and my body was on fire.

"Darren?" I questioned quietly, concerned by his silence. He groaned and held up a finger, the universal sign for just a minute. I waited, and after a minute became impatient again.

"Dar-"He pressed his finger against my lips, silencing me, his eyes open again.

"Shh- don't speak, let me." He takes a deep breath and continues, "Zoey, I had a wonderful time with you tonight. Hell, I always have a wonderful time with you. I am not going to lie, I would love to follow you inside and make love to you until the sun rises, but I also want to respect you. I am going to thank you for a lovely night, kiss your cheek, and then say goodnight. Now, I don't want you to start thinking and come to the conclusion that I don't want you, or that I am not attracted to you. That simply is not true, and it would hurt to have you thinking it." He looks at me, his eyes burning into mine, his finger still pressed against my lip.

His face softens and he removes his finger from my lips in order to reach down and grab my hands.

"Zoey, thank you for a wonderful night." He brings my hand up to his mouth and runs a kiss along my knuckles making me shiver. Then he leans in and presses a chaste kiss on my cheek, my lips seek his but he pulls back. "Now go inside so that I know you are safe." He winks at me.

I silently head into my house, unable to say anything. My mind is running through everything he said and my body is still burning from his kisses. I watch him jog down the walk and slide gracefully into his car, I don't stop watching until he is turning the corner and out of my sight.

Make love? Respect me?I have never wanted anyone as much as I want him, but I have never had anyone that was interested in me turn away. Now-a-days it's normal to have a sexual relationship early on, I haven't met anyone that wanted to wait before...oh, how long does he want to wait?

I change and get ready for bed, my mind still running over everything. I replay our date in my mind, and admittedly, fall asleep with a smile on my face.

***************************************************************************

A ping from my phone is what wakes me the next morning. I groggily reach to my side table, unhook the charger, and drag the phone to my face. I groan and squint my eyes as the screen lights up.

Darren: Morning beautiful! J I hope you have a wonderful day ;)

I grinned stupidly into my phone and couldn't help the excitement that made my heart skip.

Zoey: Good morning to you! Thank you again for a wonderful night! I hope that you have a great day as well! Should I be concerned with the wink face? :P

Darren: Trust me Zoey, It was very much my pleasure. It's nothing to be concerned about! I have to go to a meeting, talk to you later sweet girl!

Zoey: *Remains wary...* don't have too much fun!

Darren: Unless you show up to my meeting, I won't!

I couldn't get the stupid smile off face all the way through showering, getting ready for work, and going into the center. Rose smirked at me as I passed her.