Chapter 3 : The Tenth Seat

"Who wrote this? Why did they write this? Who were they referring to? The hatred they have towards this person is strong. They even stated a simple mistake could get the other person angry as well. Does that person have anger issues?"

Jay took a closer look at the book and eventually found something terrifying on the page where it was clipping the torn paper.

"I will kill and haunt you down in your nightmares." A sentence written in blood red color.

"Nope, nope, nope! I'm so done!" Jay shakily clipped the paper back into the book and swiftly put it back into the empty space on the bookshelf.

Feeling terrified.

He then straightened up and ran to the door in fear, followed by the sound of his heavy footsteps, closing the heavy door without any hesitation. He leaned his back on the door, breathing heavily and feeling his heart pound. Everything was so silent, yet so loud in the mean time. He was still shocked by what happened inside the library, and it all came from a simple piece of paper with a few sentences.

"What if the voice calling my name repeatedly at night was the person who wrote it? They became an evil spirit and mercilessly haunted everyone who came to this manor! But what did I do? I didn't make them mad though!"

All those stupidly hilarious theories made up in Jay's mind could prove he was an overthinking person. He was driven crazy by those insane theories until someone's voice woke him up.

"What are you doing?" It was Alice; she asked Jay perplexedly after seeing Jay covered in sweats and holding his fists tightly.

Jay immediately lifted up his head as soon as he heard Alice's voice; his evil life saver was finally back to him.

He would rather die than calm himself. "I was uh... reading a horror story?" A reason that was too lame for sweating himself.

Jay refused to tell Alice what happened inside the library and kept it as a secret. What if Alice was the writer mentioned about? Or, what if Alice was the person who wrote it? Thinking of the written blood-red sentence in his mind again literally gave him chills; it would be better not to do that.

"Yeah, you seem like you are dying." Alice shook her head and walked away. "Come, it's lunchtime."

Speaking of lunch, he just realized how famished he was after a long period of frustration. Today's morning was just a huge deception to be called a tour. There was no fun or excitement, only torturous. He could even swallow a horse into his belly now. Trying to put everything aside, Jay then trailed behind Alice to the dining room. At least he still had an appetite, regardless of what he encountered just now.

"Oh Lord, please save me from this starvation."

Reaching the dining room, the first thing that came into his sight was the pricey, magnificent chandelier, similar to the one in the entrance hall. Jay presumed that the master must had liked the chandelier so much that he hung it everywhere with the same design. Jay was even more impressed by how much money the master had spent; all of these were expensive, something a common person couldn't afford.

The dining table was covered in a large, pure white cloth and filled with royal tabletop candle stands, roses in tall jars, and formal tableware sets. Jay then noticed there were 10 seats; he wondered what the number of seats meant.

"Does that mean there are 10 servants, including me?"

After Alice directed Jay toward where his seat was, he sat down hungrily and hoped the food would be served instantly. As expected, his meal had been prepared right before his arrival. Alice served the meal smoothly and sat beside him.