Chapter 2 : A Piece Of Paper

As they were moving closer to it, he realized it wasn't a hallway; it was a long, broad, arched garden corridor leading to another, bigger building in the manor. The moment they left the building where they were accommodated, the sun's rays gleamed brightly on their faces through wooden arches filled with vines and various flowers, while both sides were covered by tall bushes.

Out of inquisitiveness, he would die to know what was hiding behind the bushes.

"It feels like I could finally breathe again."

It had been hours since Jay had been outside, but he could finally feel the sun and wind blandly touching his soft skin now. The gentle breeze blowing through his bangs and the cheerful birds' chirping filled his heart with calmness and peacefulness.

For a moment, he ceased thinking about the owner of the manor. He would rather immerse himself in the warm embrace of nature. He didn't realize he was fond of nature until now, or perhaps what awaited him ahead was something unnatural hiding in the dark.

Being an overthinking person didn't treat him well.

Walking down the corridor, Jay could vaguely hear the ball being hit on the ground repeatedly. It was clearly behind those tall bushes. He couldn't wait to find out; everything seemed more like a school to him.

"Basketball?" The distinct sound roamed through his mind.

"The basketball court." Alice stopped between two garden corridor doors and stared to the left, showing where the basketball court was.

Jay breathlessly stepped toward the door, surprised by what he saw in front of him. "It is a basketball court!" Jay wasn't aware such a thing would exist in the manor.

Not in the slightest.

As he was carried away by the excitement, two unfamiliar boys suddenly came into his sight.

They were both muscular and tall, dressed in a dark-colored sport shirt and shorts, and were taller than him and Alice. Jay might not see their faces clearly, but he was certain about their attractive figures. Meanwhile, the taller blonde guy maintained a steady stance and slightly flexed his knees. Jumping upward, he launched the ball with his shooting hand afterwards.

While staring at the ball, four of them anticipated that it would successfully go through the basket.

"And that's one point for me!" The blonde guy shouted and jumped joyfully as soon as the ball went through the basket smoothly.

"What a great shot, bro!" The other guy, who had his hair dyed dark blue, praised him by applauding him.

"My eyes are blessed..." An unnecessary sentence cunningly slipped from Jay's mouth again. The way the blonde guy shot the ball fascinated him.

Unfortunately, Alice heard it. "Hm." She uttered briefly and gazed at Jay in thought.

Came to his senses, Jay shockingly turned to her and apologized. "Sorry, I was... Uh..." He became tense as he suspected Alice had discovered his secret.

"I know, boys." Alice finished Jay's sentence with her lips upturned without waiting for him.

"What? No! I was checking out the court." He said it with a surprised voice and narrowed eyebrows, shaking his head slightly.

Alice shrugged, knowing that no one would buy it.

"Oh well." Once again, she proceeded to walk down the corridor with their previous intention—meeting the master.

"Do we really need to do this...?" Jay was terrified to meet the owner.

He preconceived the portrayal of the owner as someone who was tall, muscular, had a fierce face, and had messy hair, waiting for Jay's arrival in a thick black coat and on the elegant chair. No wonder why Jay was frightened to meet him.