Bible

I was stunned when Jeff hugged me. I expected him to nag, smile, scold or even just shut the door on me in shock but hugging?

It bugged me seeing him go home and I didn't feel good about it. Something about him going back to an empty house didn't sit right with me. He always went back to that house but I had assumed he had a family checking in on him but knowing there was no one made me feel sad.

Plus in our industry, it gets so hectic and tiring. The least we want is to go home to someone or a hot meal or just knowing someone is there to talk to us if we called. He didn't even have an emergency contact. What the heck?

I told my parents I wanted to go back and I come see them soon. They understood and just told me to bring Jeff too next time. I just laughed and left. And 30 minutes later, I found myself in front of his door and knocking, only to be met by a surprised Jeff who hugged me.

I realized him hugging wasn't a bad idea and my arms encircled around him in response a few seconds later. But that must have snapped Jeff back to reality as he pulled away, face all red. He was about to open his mouth to apologise and I just grabbed him back in a hug!

"Please don't say anything ok?" I murmured in his ears. I felt Jeff stifle up a bit but then I held onto him, drawing circles on his back softly and he eventually calmed down into the hug. We stood like that for a bit until Jeff's phone rang, breaking us apart. He answered it, looking at me and I just nodded my head. It was Barcode who had called to chat about something. I just took Jeff by his hand, closed the door and sat down on the couch, pulling him next to me. He just watched our entwined hands as he spoke to Barcode whilst I pretended, that being the key word, on the TV show and trying to stop my face from blushing all over.

Don't ask me why I was holding onto his hand. I just felt like doing so. As he was wrapping up his call, I took my hand off and went to get myself a drink from his fridge.

"Is Barcode ok?"

"Yea he was just excited about the gifts that Build had gotten him and was going on about it. Plus he invited me to his house for lunch on Sat."

"Oh, whats the occasion?"

"Nothing, really. Barcode knows I live alone so he likes having me over for meals."

"He knows you well huh?"

"Well we really needed the chemistry for the show and he's a good kid so I did confide in him alot. He knows alot. Even the reason behind my lack of emergency contacts."

When I heard that, funnily I felt odd. I felt mildly jealous that Barcode knew why and I didn't. Like it didn't hit me that they were "that" close.

"You don't want your drink?"

"Huh?"

"Your drink, you left it on the dining table Bible."

"Oh shit! Sorry." I walked over to take it but Jeff realized something wasn't right.

"Is everything ok?"

"Yea, why wouldn't it be?"

Jeff didn't say anything. He just nodded. He went to get his guitar whilst I watched some shows. This went on between us, him playing his music in the background whilst I caught the show. We were silent but it was a comfortable silence.

But I couldn't hold it in and looked at Jeff and before I could stop my mouth, the words flew out.

"How come Barcode knows so much and yet you can't tell me? I thought we are close too?"

"Bible. Where is this coming from?"

"I.. you know what. I'm sorry. Its dumb of me and crossing boundaries to be asking questions like this. I'm sorry."

I turned my attention back to the show or rather, forced myself to but Jeff abandoned his guitar, came to sit next to me and turned my body towards him. I refused to look him in the eye, feeling super silly over this territorial shit.

He lifted my chin up and looked at me.

"I don't really tell anyone about my family issues. Not just you. Anyone. Even my manager doesn't know and he has been with me for 5 years now. Barcode only knows because there were some residual emotions post our acting workshop and I ended up telling it to him in a fit of anger, frustration. I don't know how to explain. But Barcode, has never told anyone and in fact just treats me like a Phi, having me over occasionally. I'm grateful for a Nong like him but it doesn't mean I don't value my friends or you. I just need time to be transparent about it."

At this juncture, if Jeff can slap me, he will. Because all I asked him was, "I'm not a friend?"

Jeff rolled his eyes and just pushed me away in frustration. I laughed. I went closer to him, apologising for my silly behavior and telling him he had a Nong in me too if he wanted. That's when Jeff turned to me and just asked one question that left me stumped; "You want me to be your Phi?"

I kept quiet and finally nodded my head. But boy, didn't I know then, that was the fucking worse shit reply I could have ever given and I would regret it in time to come.

Jeff just nodded and smiled, but it never did make his eyes crinkle, which also hit me once I was on the way home and that's when I started reflecting on the question he had asked me.

"You want me to be your Phi?"

[Author's Note: Oh, you idiotic Bible!]