thirty

The girls had made their way back to the field to continue getting ready for kickoff time.

Caroline had immediately launched back into cheer captain mode, whilst the remaining trio were still confused about the earlier incident.

"Hey, Tiki, it's all wobbly. Can you stand straight, please? Could someone please help Tiki?" Caroline asked, huffing in annoyance.

"Can I ask you a question and you give me a really serious no-joke response?" Elena suddenly asked, turning to Bonnie.

Bonnie blinked in surprise, "Of course. What is it?"

Elena inhaled, "The bad mojo. When you touched Stefan and you had that reaction..."

"Elena... I don't..."

Elena cut her off, "No, Bonnie, seriously. What was it? Did you see something, Or..."

"It wasn't clear like a picture. Like today, I keep seeing those same numbers I told you about...8, 14, 22."

"Yeah?" Elena nodded, urging her to continue.

"When I touched Stefan, it was a feeling. And it vibrated through me, and it was cold, and it..." Bonnie trailed off.

"And what?"

Bonnie inhaled sharply, "It was death. It's what I imagine death to be like."

Quinn groaned, "I feel sick. Elena, did I leave my water bottle in your car?"

Elena nodded, looking concerned, "You okay? C'mon, let's go get it. Caroline can hold the fort down for a few more minutes."

──── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ────

The couple walked through the empty parking lot. Everyone had already gathered on the field for the game, so it was eerily quiet. 

Quinn dashed to the front passenger seat to grab her water bottle whilst Elena leant against the back of the car, watching her. 

She jumped when she saw Damon standing only a few inches away from her with an odd look on his face. 

"You scared me!" Elena yelped in surprise. "What are you doing here?"

Damon's grin grew, "I'm supporting my little brother."

"Right..." Elena trailed off, feeling Quinn link their fingers together. 

Damon analysed Elena's face, "I'm sorry if I make you uncomfortable. That's not my intention."

"Yes, it is," Elena replied, her tone sharp. "Otherwise you wouldn't put an alternate meaning behind everything you say."

"You're right. I do have other intentions," Damon said, surprising the girls. "But so do you."

"Excuse me?" Elena retorted flatly. 

"Mm-hmm, I see 'em. You want me." He was smirking again. 

Quinn sneered at him, "Excuse me?"

"I get to you. You find yourself drawn to me. You think about me even when you don't want to think about me. I bet you even dreamed about me. And right now... You want to kiss me." Damon drawled, lust in his tone. He leant towards Elena, lips puckered. 

Quinn felt Elena's fingers unlink from her own. The brunette pulled her fist back before launching it towards Damon's smug face, making direct contact with a sickening crunch. 

"What the hell? I don't know what game you and Stefan are trying to play here, but I don't want to be part of it. Let's get one thing straight, I am not Katherine. I would never kiss either of you, I'm dating Quinn! So both of you need to leave me and my friends alone!" Elena spat, her whole body trembling with anger as she subtly shook her injured hand. 

Quinn gently grabbed Elena's injured hand and pulled her away from the older man who was still holding his face.