Chapter 9 - Ultrasound

"Chloe Walters!!?" The nurse called out for me.

I stood up, and I walked back to the room. Mrs. Smith came with me. The nurse looked at me and asked, "how old are you?"

"I'm thirteen" I answered.

"Okay" she said. It seemed like she was judging me for being thirteen and maybe pregnant.

She had me lay back on a slightly elevated table. She got the equipment out, then squeezed the gel onto my stomach. It was cold, but I got used to it. She moved the stick around on my stomach, and her eyes grazed over the screen. She turned to me and said, "you are pregnant.. Congratulations"

"Thanks," I said, not really meaning it. I thought about how much I'd get bullied at school for getting pregnant at thirteen. I would still have no friends, just because I was raped, even though nobody will know that.

"See... That's your baby right there. The little blob," she pointed on the screen. It was amazing to think that a little human being was forming inside of me, but it was Jacob's baby. Mrs. Smith smiled at me, as if to remind me that this is in God's plan.

"You want to keep the baby, right? You don't want to abort or anything, do you?" She asked, and I had already made up my mind that I would never do that.

"Um, no. I'll keep the baby." I didn't want to abort or put it up for adoption when it's born either. Both of those are cruel. I don't want my baby to live a life like I did, without parents. The baby will have one parent, and that's better than none.

She told me how far along I was, when my due date was, and gave me a few copies of the ultrasound. 

———

Later, back at Mrs. Smith's house, I was putting the bedsheets on her bed. I finished, and she walked into the room and sat on the bed. She patted the space beside her, motioning me to sit down. I sat beside her and she began talking.

"Chloe.. I'm so sorry about what has happened, with your pregnancy.." She looked down.

"Oh, that's alright.. It's not your fault. You couldn't have helped it," I assured her, but she proved me wrong...