Chapter 25: The Garden

The location of the Garden of Hesperides has always been a subject of contention. Most scholars would argue that the garden was Topside, soaking in sunlight and offering golden apples to all of those lucky enough to come across it. It has been said that taking a bite from the golden fruit could grant you your deepest desire. There were, on the other hand, many who believed the garden to be called Eden, where in the center there was a magnificent tree that bore golden fruit. Lucifer is said to have tempted humans with the apples capable of making dreams come true, but in the end that fruit was bitter and brought sin Topside.

    But very few knew the truth.

    The garden was, in fact, in the Underworld where it had always been, growing and flourishing in the soft shimmer of underlight. Hades had discovered the small sapling his first night in the Underworld, having landed just beside it after being cast from Elysium. He nursed the plant to health and it is here where he concocted the lie he would soon share with the demons about his identity and the world above. This deceit influenced the tree, turning the beautiful golden fruit hanging from its many branches, pitch black.

    The once healthy and thriving grove was poisoned and began growing the black diamond fruit and was soon forgotten. Over the centuries, many of the apple trees had died, the land had become overgrown, and not a single soul had dared step foot inside the once great garden.

    Despite not wanting to take her, Charon knows where the garden is, having stumbled upon it once on his six hundred and sixty sixth birthday. As his canoe floats along the river Styx, just outside the garden, he fondly remembers the night — having spent the majority of it in the center of the garden, through an unlocked silver gate, laying down in a small cleared field beside the only remaining tree bearing any fruit, and looking up through a round portal at the stars.

    He hadn't dared to eat the blackened fruit after hearing rumors that anyone who were to take a bite of one would have their worst nightmares imagined. Now, however, he questioned whether he had taken a bite of the vicious fruit, as it seemed the girl he loves is fixing to leave him and he can't imagine anything worse.

    Charon takes a long look at her, devouring every freckle and every scar, as if this is the last time he will ever look upon her face. Staring over the edge of the boat, she peers at the grove with wonder and astonishment, looking back over her shoulder at the demon steering them with a smile — softening his hardened expression.

    "Go on," he mutters, widening her smile as she stands and takes his hand, jumping over the gaping hole in the side of his canoe. She lands in the soft green grass gracefully, turning back to the boys still inside the boat.

    "Aren't you coming?" She asks Charon, as she helps Lazarus over the side and into the field beside her.

    The demon shakes his head, looking down into his boat, "I don't think so."

    "What?" The boy falls to his knees at her side as she drops his hand to cross her arms over her chest. With a horrible scowl, she clears her throat, "I'm sorry, it sounded like you said, "I don't think so". I must have misheard you."

    "You don't need me, Mellie," he says sadly.

    "Get out of the boat, Charon."

    "Mellie, don't make this harder than-"

    "I said, get out of the boat, Cha." Her voice cracks as she demands the demon to listen to her and join her in the grass. But his frown stays trained on the damp floor of his canoe.

    "You need him and you need to go."

    "But you're coming with us," she says simply, forcing a smile through her frown as she shrugs her shoulders. Her voice cracks again, "we're not going to make it without you."