Chapter 9: The Double Whammy

Sat on his throne, a silver chalice hanging casually in his hand, Hades rests in the company of his beloved hellhound, Cerberus. The three headed creature sleeps at his feet, the first head snoring loudly, the middle one drooling profusely, and the third sleeping peacefully nestled under his brothers.

    A small fury, covered head to toe in underlight dust scurries into the grand room, a large pitcher in her hand. She doesn't whisper a word as she pours dark red liquid into the chalice, refilling his wine. She coddles the pitcher close to her chest once she's done and she rushes out of the room. He sips on the wine, licking his lips and sighing loudly with satisfaction. He leans back in his throne, spilling some of the wine onto the floor.

    Waltzing into the space, dressed in a long flowing silver gown, Persephone piques his interest. Hades sits up abruptly, his fingers tightening around the stem of his cup and a bright flicker of life flooding his eyes.

    "Seph, what a lovely surprise."

    The magnificently beautiful woman glides across the black floor, her feet bare. She bends down to pet the sleeping creature at her husband's feet, lifting her head ever-so-slightly to meet his loving gaze.

    "I heard you saw our daughter today." Her light and airy voice fills the room, "how is she?"

    "Maddening," he responds, sticking his nose up in the air and sipping on his drink. Persephone smiles sweetly as he continues, "she tried to break in today."

    "Tried to?"

    "Okay-" He scoffs, "she successfully broke into my records room. However, she failed to get any information — I had the room cleared just last week. I don't know why she chooses to do these things. First she tries to kill herself, which is unthinkable. And then, she helps a tourist, which I have strictly forbidden. And now this. I don't like her when she behaves this way."

    "She doesn't remind you of anyone?"

    Hades scoffs again, setting his empty chalice down on the reflective floor. He tosses his head back, careful not to displace the thorny crown that sits atop him. "If you're referring to me, you must be joking."

    Persephone smiles again, sitting at his feet and placing her hands gently on his thigh. She nods her head slowly, stroking his leg and she scoffs lightly, sarcasm floating around every word, "no, I don't know where she gets this stubborn determination to act impulsively upon her thoughts, rather than just do as she's told. She couldn't possibly have inherited her prideful rebellious nature from you."

    Hades rolls his eyes, biting his tongue to stop from smiling. He shakes his head back and forth, avoiding the playful sneer on his wife's face.

    "She doesn't mean to defy you, my Love," Persephone whispers. "She's strong and ambitious."

    "Well, that sounds more like you than me," Hades defends. He pats his leg, wanting her to join him in his throne and she does. She crosses her legs, smoothing out her dress as she sits in his lap — his hand wrapping around her waist. "What are we going to do with her?"

    Persephone takes a deep breath, caressing the side of his face with her thin, ring wrapped fingers. The deep green of her eyes bore into the richness of his, and she shakes her head softly, "be better than our parents. See her for who she is, love her for who she will become, and trust that she knows what she's doing."

    She pulls his face to hers, kissing her husband deeply. They sink into one another, becoming one divine figure as Persephone wraps her arms around the man she loves, moaning happily into his mouth. Hades hungrily claws at her back, needing her closer to him. They only part from one another with the loud, incessant blaring of an alarm.