Chapter 18: Welcome Distractions

Firefly stepped out of Agent Fowler's office the next day, her shoulders and chin raised high to not betray the pain that explaining her situation brought. At least, with Optimus, he understood so much about her people already. Fowler was a blank slate.

But not anymore and she doubted he'd question much anymore. Not after the hell she just gave him.

Optimus was currently on yet another solo mission, which bothered her, but he'd managed to get away when Fowler started grilling her. Now, she noticed, he was returning again, and with something in his servo.

Ratchet turned and looked at him, "Did you find any energon?"

"No," the Prime shook his helm, "but I did find this."

He placed a metal skull on a table, prompting the other Autobots to look over.

"It cannot be." Ratchet leaned down and examined it closely, his brows furrowed.

Firefly ran over and jumped the whole 30 feet onto the table to get a look.

"What is it?" Jack asked.

"The ancient remains of a predacon." Optimus explained.

Ratchet frowned, "I don't know how this fossil could have been found on Earth, but it reveals all too much about the predacon that Megatron recently sent in pursuit of us."

Everyone looked at him with blank expressions.

"What exactly does it reveal?" Firefly asked.

He huffed, "Megatron's new interest in the excavation of prehistoric skeletons and the present of a certain scientist back in the Decepticon ranks, it would seem that Shockwave is cloning predacons from the CNA of their ancestors."

"We could be dealing with countless predacons in the future." Optimus added.

Ratchet nodded, "If Shockwave gets just a single strand of CNA, he could be able to create an entire beast from it."

Smokescreen frowned, "Okay, but didn't predacons go extinct, like, a looooooong time ago on Cybertron? How could they possibly be here?"

"This isn't the first time Shockwave has cloned predacons." Arcee explained, "There used to be an Autobot unit trained specifically to track down Shockwave's beasts an kill them. They did their job too well, so Shockwave sent his beasts to other planets for various missions."

"And one of those planets just had to be Earth." Bulkhead complained.

"I dunno, I think it's pretty cool." Miko shrugged.

Everyone looked at her sharply.

The girls shrunk down, "I mean, the science of it. Not the fact that there is a live enemy here to kill us."

"You better." Magnus scowled.

Optimus cleared his throat, "Either way, we cannot allow Megatron to create an army of predacons. For now, our top priority must be to prevent Shockwave from acquiring these fossils."

Everyone nodded and began to disperse. Firefly ran over to Ratchet.

"Any chance you have a picture of this predacon?" She asked.

Ratchet nodded, "I'm sure our historical archives contain plenty of information regarding the beasts. In fact, I've been looking through them lately for weakness."

Firefly followed him to the monitor, where he pulled up a few pictures of the predacon type that their new friend was cloned after.

"Other than the metal, he's not shaped too differently than Pronto." She noted.