Prologue

3rd Person POV

John stood above the girl he once considered a friend. Tears rolling down her face, limp and unconscious bodies surrounded her, pooled with blood. She herself was scratched and bruised from the onslaught that had just occurred.

"Claire," he said. "Why did you turn everyone against me."

When she said nothing, John took a handful of her hair. He pulled her closer to him slightly the sudden act of aggression signaling a startled yelp from the girl.

"ANSWER ME!" he shouted. His once calm and confident demeanor shifted into one of angry, violent aggression.

"YOU TURNED THEM AGAINST YOURSELF!" Claire retorted. "HAVE YOU SEEN YOURSELF?"

His gritted teeth loosened as his angry expression turned to one of confusion and quiet shock.

"LET GO!" she shouted. She yanked his arm away from her and sent her palm directly across his face, stained with the blood of his attackers.

"TAKE A LOOK AT WHAT YOU'VE BECOME!" the girl shouted. "YOU'RE ALWAYS LOOKING FOR REASONS! YOU DON'T CARE ABOUT ANYONE BUT YOURSELF! YOU'RE A TYRANT AND A HYPOCRITE!"

"You-!"

"YOU DON'T DESERVE ANY OF THE POWER YOU HAVE NOW! I NEVER SHOULD HAVE HELPED YOU! I WISH I NEVER MET YOU!"

That was John's last straw. "SHUT THE FUCK UP!"

"MAKE ME!" Claire countered. "GO AHEAD AND BEAT ME UP LIKE YOU DID WITH EVERYONE ELSE!"

John grabbed her by the shirt, raised his fist above her and-

"M̸̼͉̾͘O̶̪̩̚N̵̡͚̞̬̤̿͛͐̐͘Ș̷̛̋̈Ț̶̯̹̟̒E̵̛͖̓̒̈́̚R̸͇̀̔!"

He let down his fist and she fell to the ground, limp and unconscious as the rest of the students around them.

John POV

I shot upright in his bed panting heavily as Claire's face, along with the last word she ever spoke to me, flashed in my head. I held my head in my hands and sighed.

"Get the hell out of my head," I whispered. I decided to get up looking at the alarm clock beside my bed.

4:34 AM

Of course. It had been a routine at this point. Go to sleep, have a nightmare, wake up at around four-thirty. I didn't tell any of this to my father, of course, for if I had, he would freak the hell out and try and pry into my personal life that I wanted to keep from everyone...including my father.

I quietly and conservatively got out of bed and opened the door while working my way to the kitchen, standing up on my toes to avoid causing alarm to my father.

I grabbed a bag of chips out of the pantry and work my way back to my room. I sat down on my bed and ate the few chips still left in the bag. I did my best to be quiet, although it was difficult with the loud crunching of the chips and the rustling of the bag.

Either way, I managed to finish off the bag without waking my father, so I counted it as a win. After setting the bag aside, I returned to bed and did my best to go back to bed.

A few hours later at around eight-forty-five, my father burst into the room, rather loudly, and nearly dragged me out of the bed.

"Dad?" I asked tiredly. "What the hell are you doing?"

"John, you're supposed to fly to Wellston to meet with the headmaster! You're going to be late!" William said.

"Oh shit!" I exclaimed, realizing the gravity of the situation. "I gotta go!"