Chapter 2

I don't think being late to school was a very good first impression.

It took me longer than I expected to walk to the school. Not to mention, I got lost midway because I crossed the wrong street. Honestly, I thought it was petty that Zack refused to drop me off at school, despite Grayson's request.

"Cara!" The principal greeted me delightfully with open arms. "My dearest cara, I am so excited for you to join us here!"

"Oh, um... thank you," I chuckled awkwardly, fidgeting with my sleeves as I stood in the office.

The principal took my hands, catching me by surprise. "Having another child of Mr. Silvarent is a great honor!" His smile was so big it was quite impressive. To me, however, it seemed like he was only interested in me because of my parents. "Dear child, you and your brother will be the pride of this school. I'm Mr. Worthing."

I pursed my lips together in attempt of a smile. "Thanks... I have a favor to ask—"

"Yes! My dear, what is it?" Mr. Worthing's eyes went wide with anticipation. He was definitely only interested in reputation, but I liked that he was being kind to me.

"Could you keep it from everybody else..? My parents," I said sweetly, Zack's voice echoing in the back of my mind constantly. He didn't want people to find out we were siblings, and I was starting to agree with him.

Mr. Worthing nodded so fast it made my head spin. He looked like a dog, wagging his tail as a treat dangled in front of him. "Of course! Of course! I totally understand, especially for a young girl like you!"

I gave him a warm smile even though I had not a slightest clue of what he meant by that. "Thank you, Mr. Worthing."

"This is your homeroom teacher, Mr. Ashwell." A man twice the principal's height walked over to his side. He was the complete opposite of Mr. Worthing. He was lanky and glum and looked like his coffee machine broke today.

"Treat her especially well!" The principal warned the teacher. "She's an important student."

"Yes, sir," Mr. Ashwell grumbled, refraining from rolling his eyes. "Come on. I'll take you to your class."

The school itself was pretty big. There were four floors total and it was basically all gray themed. I quietly followed Mr. Ashwell to the second floor while he continuously muttered words to himself.

He came to a sudden stop and spun around, pointing a finger at me. "Just because you're the daughter of someone important, I'm not giving you special treatment."

My face scrunched up in annoyance. "I wasn't asking for any—" I stood in disbelief as he started to walk again. What the hell is wrong with people here?

We finally came to a stop in front of a loud, noisy classroom. Mr. Ashwell closed his eyes and took way too many deep breaths before opening the door and walking in. Inside was a classroom with about thirty students, all scattered around and chatting. That was a lot of people.

"Alright! Get to your seats," Mr. Ashwell exclaimed. "We have a transfer student."

The class chorused with anticipation as they all went to their seats. The desks were organized so that there were four pairs of two desks and five rows total. What I quickly noticed was how many empty seats there were. Forty desks total, yet I counted about twelve empty seats.

"This is Cara," Mr. Ashwell said, pointing to me. "Don't cause any trouble with her, please. It's so much work dropping and transferring kids." I wanted to question what he meant, but I decided I would avoid any further interaction with that grumpy man. "Now... where should you sit..."