Chapter 1

I forget I have a brother.

Okay, I know I have a brother- I grew up with him. But after four years of having zero contact with him, I forget about him. I forget what he's like. I know he's my brother; his name is Zack. Do I remember his personality, or his voice, or honestly anything else? No.

I've mentioned this to my oldest brother, Grayson, so I couldn't understand why he would make me move in with the bastard who decided to ghost his own family.

"Cara, I understand it's going to be difficult living with him," Grayson mumbled, tapping his fingers on the steering wheel. "I'm not asking you two to pretend like nothing ever happened and get along."

"Then why can't i just stay with you?" I asked, adjusting my pillow so I can lay my head against the window. "We've been living fine. just us. even without mom."

Grayson took care of me ever since my mom had left on a trip overseas for her business. He was only eighteen at the time, but he was more of a guardian than my mom ever was. It was just us two for an entire year, and it was perfect just like that. So I didn't know why I had to be separated from him.

"I know, it's just... I have a lot of work that's being sent to me from our parents," Grayson said. "I can't take care of you when I have too much going on, and it would be better for you to live with someone who will actually look after you."

I sunk my head into my pillow, trying not to make my disappointment clear. I've heard his explanation so many times, yet I ended up getting upset whenever he told me this will be better for me. But if there's anything I cared about, it was my brother. If it meant I wouldn't burden him by having him take care of me, I guess I can tolerate living elsewhere until everything gets better.

"Besides, I won't be too far away. A couple hour drive. That's not too bad, right?" His attempt at optimism was a failure. "If you need anything, you can always call me, Cara. Just because I'm busy doesn't mean I won't be there for you."

I really tried my hardest to look on the bright side, but it was hard leaving the town I grew up in. I was happy there. My mom owned a wealthy mansion which we lived in, I had so many friends there, and I was doing really well in school. This was my first time moving away from that.

"Alright, here we are." Grayson parked the car as I pulled my pillow down to look. It was a giant, white high-rise apartment. I've never lived in an apartment before. "Grab your stuff, I'll take your suitcases."

Leaving the car, I was met by a nice, cool breeze. I quickly wrapped my blanket around me then swung my backpack onto my shoulders. I grabbed my pillow and shut the door. To my left was Grayson easily taking the two suitcases from the trunk.

"Come on, I'll show you where you'll be staying."

When we reached the elevators, I was impressed with how many buttons they were able to fit. There were seventy stories, and Zack's room was on the 23rd floor. The elevator ride took longer than I expected. Maybe it would be faster to run up the stairs.

The apartment room wasn't too far from the elevators. It was the seventh door, coated with metallic gray paint. There was a small 7 written on the top left corner.

"Cara, remember the passcode, okay?" Grayson started entering the numbers into the pin-pad latched onto the door.

Zero, five, eight, one, four.

I mentally repeated the numbers in my head until he pushed the door open, revealing a small, but bright and warm living room furnished with homey decor. Stepping inside, a small kitchen was directly to the left. There wasn't a dining area, but there was an island in the kitchen to accommodate.