Chapter 30

I woke up slowly, blinking the sleep from my eyes as bright light from the snow streamed in from the window. I stretched my sore and battered body groaning as I sat up. A pang of hurt flew through my chest as I remembered the events of yesterday; the torture of being so close to Derek but not being able to touch him, to go with him.

I stood and headed into the bathroom freshening up before I stood in front of the wide window next to the bed. Ryder's change in attitude and apology kept running through my mind. I did feel slightly bad that he would have to live the rest of his life without a true mate, however, I couldn't forgive him for what he has done and I definitely do not trust him.

Just as I was about to turn to sit on the bed, the door opened, and so I turned towards the sound. Ryder stepped into the room slowly, looking at me with concern almost as if he was asking for silent permission with just his eyes. I took a step back and crossed my arms over my stomach. He crossed the room and bent his tall body to sit on my unmade bed. His eyes were now level with mine.

"I want to talk about last night," Ryder started. Instead of answering I stayed silent just staring. "I can tell you don't trust me. As you shouldn't but I want you to know that I'm done hurting you. Now I just want you to start feeling comfortable."

"Not hurting me and making sure I feel comfortable would involve sending me back to Derek. Somehow I don't think that's going to happen."

"No, you're right, that won't happen. I'm going to try to make you as comfortable as you can be here, with me. No more threats, I promise."

"You can promise all you want, it doesn't really mean anything until you actually do it." I responded hesitantly. I didn't want to make him mad. He tilted his strong jaw up and raised a dark eyebrow then nodded slowly, lifting his lips into a slight smirk. The perfect look of a bad boy. He was attractive, I realized, tall and fit with strong facial features. I saw, to my surprise, a dark tattoo surrounding his bare bicep. Attractive or not, mate or not, I was still being held here.

"That is true Calla. I guess I will have to show you. Come with me. We are going to get breakfast." I looked at him shocked as he stood up. My arms dropped from my waist. "Why do you look surprised, I'm hungry, lets go."

"I'm in sweats... I just woke up." I said slightly embarrassed.

"That's what you are worried about?" He looked at me shocked. I felt the tops of my cheeks flush. "Okay," he cleared his throat, "I will wait outside. You can change."

After he had closed the door I rushed to the closet and pulled out a pair of dark jeans and a sweater that fit, although I wasn't that surprised, this room was for me after all. I then found a hair tie in the bathroom to throw my long hair into a ponytail.

After meeting Ryder on the other side of the door, I followed him through the hallways to a big kitchen. There was food already prepared as we sat down Ryder talking about his family almost the whole time. He had three brothers but no sisters. All of them had either their own pack or a high position in one. All of those packs were allied to join as one under Ryder's rule once he claimed me and "took care of" Derek's pack. Although he sounded a little crazy, what he was saying didn't make me nervous, Derek was one of the strongest alphas in the world. He has one of the biggest, best trained pack. Even so, it would be quite the fight when it came to that, not if. It was inevitable for there to be some sort of war. This wasn't going to end easily once I made it back. And I will make it back, I thought. I'm going to escape.