chapter 7

Luca

Hearing what knight said to peyton stirred something in me. Shes an amazing woman. Shes strong, shes beautiful, she's loyal beyond measure. I hope to be lucky enough to feel some of that loyalty.

I know knight doesn't think we would be good together, but I strongly disagree. I'm going to convince him of that. I want to take care of her they way she is always taking care of others. Not financially of course, my girls all set in that department. That doesn't mean when we go out I won't be paying for everything, because I will. More than anything I want to be someone she can lean on, someone she can depend on when life gets too much. I want her to be happy, and I want to make her that way. I want as many smiles as I can from her.

It's getting dark and the party is still in full swing. I find peyton sitting on the swing on the back porch and sit next to her. "Hey baby doll, everything okay?"

"Yeah, just happy. My son is happy and I have my brother back in my life. It's a good day, it's a good life" she smiles sadly.

"What's wrong angel?"

"I just wish I could have done more for Parker, knight, whatever you wanna call him. I shouldn't have left him. I should have took him with me."

"He doesn't blame you peyton. Your brother loves you."

"I wish I could have given him a better childhood." She's wringing her hands together.

I put my hand over hers "Peyton look at me please." When she looks into my eyes I continue, "you were just a kid yourself, nothing that happened was your fault it was never your job to give him a good childhood. It was never your responsibility to take care of everything at home. Your parents dropped the ball and you picked it up the best you could. You didn't choose to leave him babydoll, and he does not blame you." I tell her tucking a stay piece of hair behind her ear.

"Thanks Luca, now we have to head out back. It's time for the grand finally"

This girl I shake my head. We head to the back yard just in time for the fireworks to start. The show lasts over a half hour. She must have spent a small fortune on fireworks alone "out of curiosity how much did you spend during on this party?"

She laughs "ummmm, well a couple hundred."

"Couple hundred?"

"Couple hundred thousand" she whispers.

I shake my head and laugh "lucky kid"

She looks at me "lucky mom. my boy deserves the best, because he is the best."

"Do you need any help cleaning up I can get the guys to help too"

"No, it's okay. I hired people to come in the moring and take care of everything. Thank you though. "

Everyone started leaving "you don't have to stick around. You guys have been here all day."

"Trying to get rid of me?" I ask her.

"No, that's not what I was saying"

"We will be the last to leave, gotta make sure yall are safe."

She stares at me with pursed lips. "Luca I have been taking care of us for a long time. We are fine."

"Yeah I know but it'll make me feel better so, please just play along." I shoot her a wink.

I swear I hear her mumble "men" in a huff. I feel the corner of my lips tip up.

An hour later all the guests and workers have left I had some prospects do a sweep of the property.

"Happy birthday Eli, thanks for letting us come celebrate with you." I shake his hand.