Chapter 15

It surprised you that the new year was approaching quickly. Yet here it was coming in just a day. To think that you have lived through so many of these yet none feel as special as this one. Still, at the chalet, it was decided that you all would dress up and spend the night amongst friends and family.

You helped Wanda and Pepper in the kitchen early in the morning to make snacks and treats for the night, as well as tidy up the place. Heading back to your room you took a shower, packed a few things as you were leaving the day after next and started on your hair all before Ana woke up. You knew that once she did you were going to have to get her ready for the party and you weren't going to have much time for yourself. But that was just motherhood and you wouldn't change it for anything else in the world.

While you finished managing your hair so that it would be easier to style later in the day, your daughter was already jumping up and down on the bed screaming "it's snowing, it's snowing." As if it hasn't been snowing every day since you arrived. You didn't say anything, not when it meant taking the smile off her face. You know how Hydra is. The rules you had to follow, what time you had to be awake, where you were allowed to go and when you were allowed to speak. For the longest time, you forgot how your voice sounded.

Ana runs to change out of her PJs and bundles up in all possible outerwear you packed from home. You continue to laugh until she pulls you outside. It wasn't too cold outside. Cold enough for it to snow but bearable to be outside in. You follow Ana as she leads you down a path that winds into the dense forest. With the number of times that you have been here, you were surprised that you never found this before.

You were silent as Ana talked your ear off about talking about everything. Accidentally zooming out so much that your feet were on autopilot and you didn't realize you bumped into Bucky running. Hands wrapped around your waist to keep you from falling down. Blue eyes look at you accompanied by a bright tooth smile. "Careful doll. We don't want you to hurt yourself." Bucky jokes, still keeping a hold on you even though you are stable on your own two feet. You felt your cheeks redden and it wasn't just from the cold.

"Why are you out here Bucky? It's freezing." You weren't sure why he was running out here, wearing only a long sleeve shirt and shorts. "I could ask you the same thing?" He fights back. "Ask your daughter."

"Oh don't blame it on my snowflake." Bucky picks up Ana in his arms, them teaming up against you. "You love the snow just as much. I remember one time when you dragged me out of bed just so that we could see the first snowfall." Bucky shares with Ana. You didn't know that he remembered that small event. But seeing the way Ana absorbed the story as Bucky was telling it made your heart grow. It was always nice to see times such as these. Where the three of you could just exist. "Froze my butt off that night."

"Mama, how could you do that?" She acts hurt, giggling in Bucky's arms when he said the word butt. "How dare you take his side. He once took me dancing and we didn't stop until my feet fell off." Ana looks to Bucky for verification. "In my defence, your mother looked gorgeous that night and I wanted to keep that smile on her face." He wasn't wrong about that. The ball was a cover. You were sent to infiltrate, examine and then eliminate. Yet the soldier took your hand and led you to the centre of the floor, claiming it was the best way to see everything and everyone. You haven't danced let alone smiled in years because of Hydra. It was one of your favourite nights.

"Let's get you inside, snowflake. It's cold and we have to get ready for the party." She whines into Bucky's shoulder. If it was her choice she would stay outside all day and night. "I'm with your mama on this one." The three of you walk back towards the cabin in laughter and smiles as Ana asks for more stories. You did leave out the darker parts, not that it mattered anyway as the happier moment was what you kept.