Changes

Once back at the house, Miguel set to work folding all of the laundry he'd washed after filling up a bowl of water for me. Sometime around four, the front door opened and his mother walked in. Her face was drawn with exhaustion, but as soon as her son looked up at her with a smile, she quickly mirrored it with one of her own.

"Hey, Mom, how was work?" he asked as he got up, setting the shirt he'd been folding on top of the stack that was already finished.

"Great, sweetie," his mother replied as her expression turned to one of gratitude and excitement, and she scurried over to him and scooped him into a hug. "I got a raise!"

I remained silent as he cheered, his smile stretching wider as he shared in his mother's excitement. The look in Miguel's eyes when he was released from the hug was one of hope. Such high, high hopes.

"Mom! Does this mean that maybe we can keep him?" Miguel tried immediately, turning to glance at me before looking back at his mom with wide eyes. The look that his mother returned to him made my heart stutter with worry and Miguel frown.

"Sweetheart, I know you've wanted a dog for a very long time, but right now, I think it's best that you give him to the Humane Society you volunteer at so that he can get a home that can truly afford to give him what he needs. I might be getting a raise, but I could either decide to use that money on him so that he is well fed and has flea control and regular vet visits, or I can spend it on my family." Her shoulders sagged a little and she sighed, wrapping her son in a second hug for a brief moment. "I'm sorry, Miguel. You and your father come first, and that's how it has to be."

All of Miguel's previous excitement had dissipated into depression as he grabbed the leash he'd yet to remove from around my neck and tugged me toward the door. I had half the mind to fight him on it, not wanting to go, but his mother was unfortunately right. Their home needed so many repairs and Miguel could stand to gain several pounds. I didn't like the idea of being thrown into another situation that could possibly go south, but staying with Miguel's family would only hinder them.

Thus, for once, I swallowed down what I wanted and followed Miguel out the door. The whole way to the Humane Society I contemplated running away, but even if I did, I had no doubt Nagol had some of the cats in the city on the lookout for me. Hell, he might already know where I was but hadn't struck yet because I was with Miguel. Maybe he really was the cause of the abrupt sorrow I felt rush through my head the other night? Eh, either way, with my luck, he'll adopt me and then slit my throat.

The walk to the Humane Society was quick, as it was only four blocks away from Miguel's house. As soon as we walked inside, my nose wrinkled with distaste. It smelled terrible to my sensitive wolf nose, but I had no doubt the stench would only get worse when I was locked away with the other animals.

"Hello, Mary." Miguel spoke hesitantly as he walked up to the counter wearing a fake smile. The receptionist looked at him, then down at me, before her eyes widened in surprise.

"Hey there, Miguel. That's one big dog you've got there. Must be a wolf hybrid."

Miguel shrugged, pursing his lips as the woman walked around the counter and came out a side door. She knelt down in front of me, offering a hand that I begrudgingly sniffed to make her happy. After giving me a gentle pet, she looked up at Miguel.

"We normally don't take strays, but I suppose you're here to surrender him?" she asked, noting Miguel's eyes as they began to blink quickly. He nodded, offering her the leash with a shaky hand. "I f-found him in the alleyway near the g-grocery store down the street."

Mary smiled and nodded, taking the leash and giving my head another pat that I didn't want. "Alright, thank you for bringing him in. Do you have any idea about his personality? Is he fixed? House-trained?"