For You

Kine

My mind was having trouble functioning all of a sudden. At first, his words had my entire body tingling with such a strong sense of need I nearly climbed into his lap just to be closer to him. The next wave that crashed over me, however, was common sense, swiftly followed by roiling anger. The words repeated in my head so I could see if I could try to calm myself down. To tell myself that he hadn't actually said what he had, but it was no use. He said I was his mate. Only the dominant in the relationship usually got the signals. By saying I was his mate, which was obviously a joke, he had just called me weak.

"Kine? Please, listen. Please. I'm not calling you submissive or weak or anything of the sort."

He sounded sincere, but his words only made my wolf beyond furious as my animal side began taking over my human body. While a shapeshifter's animal never truly had a mind of its own, its instincts often made it seem like it did. Right then, I let it have its way as fur sprouted over my skin and my jaw extended into a snarling muzzle. Nagol was wise to begin backing up, but I wasn't going to let him get away with what he'd said.

To wait for a mate all my disgustingly long life and then to have this joke thrown in my face!

Roaring in anger, I pounced off the bed. Hitting him hadn't been planned, so when I collided with a huge black jaguar, I had to shake myself for a second, having been stunned momentarily. My intentions were to bite him as soon as I could get my vision stilled again, but when a wet, sand paper-like tongue ran along the right side of my face, I bristled and swatted at his nose. He dodged easier than I would have liked, especially considering he was way bigger than me and shouldn't be able to move so easily in the space we were taking up between the bed and closet.

Kine, I love you.

My chest tightened as I lunged again. He surprised me for a second time by not dodging. Feeling my teeth sink into his shoulder should have been bliss, but the only sense I got out of it was a further constriction in my chest. When I heard a deep rumble overpowering my own growls, I thought he would finally fight back and it reinvigorated my fire of anger. But when the only thing that happened was a gentle, giant paw settling on my wolf's shoulder, my eyes widened and I hesitated. My jaws were still clamped down on his shoulder, but while I was extremely angry at this disturbing turn of events, I couldn't force myself to keep tearing at his fur.

I love you, baby.

I released my jaw and nudged the bleeding injury I'd just made, letting a rumble leave my mouth in warning. I didn't like that he was able to get inside my head so easily or that I'd let what he had said take over my actions. My wolf had calmed and retreated in my mind, leaving me in control of his body to think through what had just happened. Everything felt numb, though.

"Kine?"

Nagol's voice brought my attention back to the present, and more specifically, to the feeling of strong arms wrapping around my wolf. I knew the gesture was meant to be caring, but I couldn't stand being restrained. Not even as a pup while misbehaving in the bath.

Let. Me. Go.

Instead of doing as told, he gave a quiet chuckle and started purring again. Trying to back out of his hold, I grunted and dug my paws into the carpet, but he just followed. Dammit! I thought to myself in upset.

"I know what I said wasn't what you wanted to hear, but please. Before you leave, please get the surgery. I don't want to be paid back for it. I just want you happy and healthy."

Arguing was useless. I couldn't say that I was either of those things before Nagol found me. My eyes widened immediately, and I felt my whole body go rigid. Before. I am not happy now. Perhaps getting healthier, but what is there here to make me happy? I thought to myself. A sneer formed along my muzzle as my lips pulled back. Nothing, I answered myself with a sarcastic grumble. But you would be an idiot to not accept the surgery.