Chapter 21

The entrance to the theater was swarmed, with people packed so densely in the foyer that they'd run out of space to hold everyone indoors. Tellik and Trelisti were over an hour early, yet they were still put in a line outside.

Luckily, they got tickets before the show sold out, a fear Trelisti hadn't realized the reality of until getting there. He'd never had much interest in shows—they were just an overpriced luxury, a waste of time to display wealth. He couldn't fathom why anybody would want to pay to sit still for hours.

But still, a lead was a lead, and this was the only one they might have on the prophecy. Even if every inch of his skin crawled with doubt, it was better to waste a short time here than not try at all.

"It looks like they're opening the doors," Tellik said as the line started to move. "Make sure you've got your ticket out."

"Took long enough," Trelisti grumbled, pulling the gold-lined slip from his pocket. They'd been expecting to wait since they came early, but it was well past sundown now.

"Oh, hush your complaining. We're lucky to get in at all—don't you see all these people?" Tellik asked, moving forward in the line. Ahead, the outline of the doors became visible, warm light framing the entryway. "She's a lot more popular than we thought. I wonder why."

"I was hoping you'd tell me," Trelisti mumbled. "You're the one who's from here."

"From is a strong word. I've only lived in Rosvanii for a portion of my life," Tellik corrected. "Even then, I've been sailing off and on for most of that time, and the last few years I've only come back for short trips to restock merchandise. I haven't been spending much time in the theaters."

In a few seconds, they were at the doors, and a well-dressed attendant marked an inkspot in the corner of each ticket before motioning them in. "Then what's everybody else saying?" Trelisti asked as he entered.

"What do you take me for? A creep?" Tellik scowled. His face was quickly washed out by the foyer light, a chandelier strung with dancing glass shards. "I don't enjoy eavesdropping when I don't have to."

"Then I guess we'll have to wait until the show starts," Trelisti said, faking a dramatic sigh. They passed through the foyer, with mural-painted walls and bronze doors, into another doorway. This room was much darker, the only lights in the form of small glowing rocks that marked each row. "Where do we sit?"

"I think in that side section over there, a little over halfway down. Look for the sign that matches the character on your ticket," Tellik instructed, squinting at his own. "Not that I can see it well now."

Trelisti looked over his own ticket again, unbothered by the darkness, and found the symbol next to the mark the attendant made. It was a half-circle with two bars in it, and the corresponding sign was right where Tellik guessed. A single curved bench spanned the entire row. "Anywhere on here?"

Tellik nodded and went in first, staying close to the part of the bench by the aisle. Trelisti followed behind.

The next few minutes were waiting as more people flooded the theater, most passing their row, but many still taking a place there. A few repeated the same phrase as they walked past, mi sanna, which Tellik translated as 'excuse me.' All the while, Trelisti couldn't help but marvel at the size of the place—it didn't look that big from the outside, but the inside had hundreds of seats spread across three rows in the center, curtained booths on the sides, and a raised loft over the entryway. Statues and pictures were carved into the walls, with the faintest light from the doorway highlighting the stone. They looked like hollowed ghosts.

After a few last groups settled into the room, the doorway shut, sealing everyone inside. A plate slid in the roof, allowing a stream of light to pour onto the stage. Then a man stepped into the center of it.

He spoke another language first, which Tellik was about to whisper the translation of when he looked caught by surprise. He motioned for Trelisti to keep listening.

"Hello all and welcome to Tah'lo Theater!" he said, projecting his voice so loudly that he may well have been right next to them. "My name is Amden, and I'm one of the stage managers. I've been informed that we have guests from all over this evening, so I appreciate your patience as I translate our opening announcements. Our goal here at Tah'lo is to accommodate everyone at all times while providing an entertaining experience, so if you have any questions or concerns about the show, feel free to come find me in the back of the theater by the doors."

"Looks like you're not the only foreigner tonight," Tellik murmured as the man switched back into some form of Fehri. He motioned particularly to a booth, where a pale, aristocratic-looking family was sitting. They were almost certainly from Ethforge, likely the southern part of the continent. "She really is popular."

Trelisti shrugged and waited for the man to speak again in Common, which he soon did.

"While we strive to create the most enjoyable experience possible for you, there are a few rules regarding tonight's performance. Please refrain from making loud noises or causing disturbances during the show. As usual, no use of magic is permitted in the theater except from stagehands and performers. This show may include changes in lighting, unexpected sounds, or other sensory images which, while safe and controlled, may frighten some viewers. If you or a member of your party has a known issue with this or any of our policies, please let a member of our staff know so we can accommodate you."

"Are people here really that sensitive?" Trelisti murmured under his breath. "And why's he saying that bit about magic?"

"It's a courtesy. Rosvanii isn't as strict on magic rules as Rith, but many places have their own policies about using it. A lot of people are unnerved by it." Tellik replied quietly. "It might be hard to imagine since you've been on the battle side of things, but many city folk can't do more than light a candle or lift a pebble. Magic dies where there's no need for it."

Trelisti was only half-listening, but his last statement sent a pinch of alarm where it shouldn't have. He knew it already—most of the world wasn't magically talented, and just like any muscle, it only grew with usage. Some power stemmed from blood, sure, but most ability rose from necessity. Rith was notorious for generations of weakening mages due to its control laws, and while it wasn't outright banned in Everhold, substitutes that any person could use were quickly replacing real magic. A part of him worried that it would change the balance of the world eventually, for better or for worse.

"...and lastly, as a thank-you for attending the final show of the month, we would like to invite all of tonight's attendees to a 'Meet Espire' event taking place in the Pearl Sector tomorrow." Trelisti was so lost in his thoughts that it took him a moment to listen in again. "Tickets will cost a discounted price of seven silvers rather than the usual nine, involving a ballroom-style meet and greet at Tecoma Castle. Other performers, including the Regency Ballet Company and Ocotillo Singers will be present as well. Come see us on your way out for more information or to buy a ticket."

Trelisti and Tellik shared a knowing glance. It was a slim chance, but if tonight told them anything worth looking into, they'd get in.

Trelisti looked back up just in time to see the announcer drifting towards the edge of the stage. Subtly, the plate started to crawl over the skylight, dimming the space for him to stand under. "And with that, our announcements are concluded. So without further ado, please welcome..."

He could practically grab the silence, slipping off of a slanted shelf. It was a broken hinge, a fraying thread before the word left the room in instant darkness.

"Espire!"