Chapter 11

Quinn didn't have to look for very long before Trelisti found her, Tellik already with him. It came as no surprise; news always seemed to reach him first.

They headed to the archives again, not for any true reason other than it being what they used before. The privacy helped too, she supposed, but it wasn't exactly difficult to find that when so much of the keep was abandoned. The others were already discussing plans within.

"...So I guess that leaves the feather. Any ideas?" Mirtis' voice was muffled until they passed a shelf. He turned towards them. "Ah—good timing. I trust you heard?"

"More than heard," Quinn murmured, throwing a jaded glance towards Tellik and Trelisti. "I'm guessing those two haven't told you their plan yet."

His scrunched-brow response was the only answer Quinn needed. She plopped into a seat by the others, leaving the floor open.

"Am I to do the explaining?" Tellik asked Trelisti, voice slathered with judgment.

"You're the expert," he replied. Quinn swore she saw the edges of his lips curve up, the faintest, catlike smile forming.

"Fine, then." Tellik rolled his eyes. "Are you all familiar with my people—the Korja?"

"Familiar, yes," Elyria replied, somewhat hesitantly. "But I worry some of what's written is poorly documented, or even falsified."

"Much of it is," he said with an edge of disappointment. "I'll spare you the specifics unless you ask. What you should know, though, are the basics. Korja are common elves originating from the region of Khae. Most are nomadic and stay within their tribe for their entire lives, limiting their contact with the outside world. As they're based in Te Fehr, a vast majority are firebrands or lightweavers, and due to the nature by which we're raised—through harsh training and difficult survival circumstances—most tend to be stronger than regular mages. The strongest and most respected tribe is the Qorasi."

Tellik's accent was the fullest she'd heard yet, surrounding the word in a thick, almost musical timbre. The beginning of it sounded like a click, but he spoke it fluidly, in a way Quinn didn't think she could replicate if she tried.

"Most members of the Qorasi hold a special potential, one common only to chieftains in other tribes. This ability is to summon a familiar from Fehr—a flametongue, a sandstrider, an eygroff, or a sunnifa," he continued. She could hear something under his tone, something dull and unamused, but more than that. "...Or of course, in rare cases, a fa'ih. A firebird."

"Is that who we need to contact, then?" Mirtis asked. Across the table, Elyria was listening in fascination.

"Yes, but it's not so simple." An unfamiliar darkness swept over Tellik's eyes. "The Qorasi is not a welcoming tribe. At most, I'll be able to get a short audience with one. And that's under the assumption that they don't throw me out at first sight."

"Why would they do that?" Quinn asked. His tone was stiffer than usual.

"Because of who I am now," he replied curtly. "Once you leave Khae, you become an outsider. You're not permitted to return without special circumstances—and despite what you may believe, fighting a god would push that criteria."

The table shifted at his words, a few disapproving murmurs escaping Mirtis' lips. The only one who didn't look terribly fazed was Eithien, whose face reflected something nearly identical to Tellik's. An expression of annoyance and hate, combined with a sort of bitter acceptance—almost like he was relating to something he'd said.

"May I ask why you left?" Elyria asked, less pushy than Quinn, but still just as interested. "If it's not too personal, of course."

Tellik knew the question was coming, but it didn't stop his cheek from twitching. Had it been anyone but Elyria to ask, Quinn was sure he'd have snapped.