chapter 2

sorry this is late! remember to vote, it helps a lot <33

There's twelve of them in total.

Isai, Maverick, Yanna, Alaine, Pau. Charlie, Hosuh, Ann, William, Joey. And Father and mother.

Joey, already turned 20, has been off to university for two years now. It has been radio silence from him ever since he left. Mother calls him a traitor. Ann calls him a trooper. Father merely smiles when anyone mentions him, as if knowing the man will return. One day, slowly but surely; back into the hands of the Lee bloodline.

He remembers, a long time ago, up until the age of eight, that he and Father would walk through the brambles and the woods behind their home to visit some neighbors. Sometimes, it would just be the two of them. Other times, it would be the whole lot; all eight. They would wear masks; each one intimately designed to represent their "ego." Hosuh's was a deer. Or a fawn. He cannot remember. There would be blood. Sacrifices – humans. Or animals? He cannot remember that, either.

"Hosuh?"

At 6:00 AM in the Lee household, everyone is awake – even Alaine, who has a knack for falling asleep anywhere at no particular time. She gazes up at him with sleepy eyes, pupils glossed over from exhaustion.

"What is it, Alaine?"

"What's for breakfast?"

Hosuh bristles. "Wh- I'm not the one in charge of breakfast. Mother is."

"But..." She glances behind her before shuffling closer, wrapping a fist around his jeans. "She's... asleep. And I don't wanna wake her up."

Hosuh sighs. 'Asleep' is a gentle replacement for 'high,' and he is aware of how erratic their mother can be when she becomes intoxicated on whatever she gets her hands on. There is nothing against drugs in the Bible, after all.

"Okay, Alaine." He sets down his hairbrush and picks her up. The girl clings onto his side like a koala, despite her being a little too old to fit perfectly under his chin. When she turned seven, she had hit growth spurt after growth spurt. "Let's go. What do you want for breakfast?"

Her smile is wide enough to show off her two front teeth; bigger than all the rest. "Cheerios."