Chapter 4: Nightrunners

The Drifter stood up after several more hands of cards before raising his glass and speaking over the spectators' babble.

Drifter: Alright! I'd like to say somethin'!

Most of the bar-goers groaned while others cheered, Elijah noting more than half of the packed tavern were Eliksni. To Elijah's surprise, a stockier Eliksni equipped with a purple and silver helmet stood up, smashing one of his four arms onto the table, quickly quieting the rest of the crowd.

Drifter: Thanks, Mithrax! Another set of arms and I'd be good to go!

The Eliksni leader nodded before taking his seat across from Elijah and Ajax.

Drifter: It's come to my humble attention War Cult and New Monarchy seem to be oozing back into our city. I don't think that's gonna fly with any of you.

Elijah smirked, watching Drifter rally the crowd, drawing optimism and unity from the humans and Eliksni alike.

Drifter: Now, I'm not sayin' to go looking for fights. That ain't gonna work out for ya. Leave that to me. Wherever they crawl out of, my gang will be there.

He turned, motioning to both Lance and Ajax standing with their arms crossed.

Drifter: That's not all, though. The Kell of House Light is about to say some words.

The Drifter gestured to the decorated Eliksni names Mithrax, motioning him to take the floor. His voice was deep and corroded, as if his rebreather was broken, yet carried himself with righteous authority all the same.

Mithrax: Thank you, Drifter-friend. There will never come a day your unorthodox hospitality won't be unwelcome. Drifter speaks the truth. Two of the factions are trying to reestablish a roost in the City under the Machine God. This must not come.

The Drifter shook his head before snapping what appeared to be a green, metallic coin into the air and catching it.

Mithrax: I say to all of House Light, the Nightwind are friends, and we are friends to the Nightwind. Each of us must do our part in helping unify our races.

His gaze turned to Ajax and Lance, respectfully nodding and shaking hands with the Drifter.

Mithrax: Now, enjoy your drinks. Enjoy our friends. In each of us here, the Light provides.

Cheers and hollers shattered the silence as Mithrax and Drifter took their seats at the table. To Elijah's left, an Eliksni captain sat armored with human steel, shuffling the deck of cards.

Elijah: Hell of a speech, Drifter. Mithrax, I don't believe we've met. Elijah Lance of the Nightwind.

Mithrax: A pleasure to meet you. May the Light be your guide, Elijah. This, to your left, is Verdaksis-

The Eliksni Captain to his left spoke through her mask, with four piercing, sky blue eyes studying his posture.

Verdaksis: Captain of House Light, and mediator of House Dawn.

Elijah: House Dawn? You must know the Kell, Braksiis. I had the uh... pleasure of meeting her several months ago.

The female Captain blinked before offering Mithrax a slight glance. Oddly enough, her Eliksni hand crept onto Elijah's shoulder as she continued to speak.

Verdaksis: I do. She means well, but she's stubborn, like Miisraks-Kell, himself.

Drifter: Ha! Different race, different pronunciations. Ey! Did any of you know a comet shower is happening tonight?

Elijah: Gonna bet on a lucky star?

Drifter: Why not? We're playin' poker, here. I need more than Lady Luck.