Chapter 十五

Hodgy’s View.

I don’t really lie often. I mean, besides the little lies. I don’t go all out to make up a specific, truth-altering story. Well, only if it’s absolutely necessary.

But was it absolutely necessary to lie to Frank like I did?

I kind of think it was. At first, I went to him in hopes that he would want to meet Chanel. That would make her happy, and she’d be so grateful to me. But then I saw the look on Frank’s face when I described her, and…this picture came into my head.

They would meet, Chanel would thank me, but she would forget about me. They’d go on to live happily ever after and I would be the cause of it. I don’t want that. I actually do like Chanel. So what help is it to me if Frank’s after her?

None.

Well, then again, he thought the name of the girl I was talking about was ‘Ajahni’. The name sounded awfully familiar, and I know it must have had something to do with Chanel. Even though I could’ve been wrong, I didn’t want to take any chances. I couldn’t risk messing this up. I couldn’t risk…her.

Yes, I love her. I’m in love with Chanel. I don’t know how it happened so quickly, but it did, and I won’t stop until we’re together. I’ve never felt this way about a girl before; I think I’m on the brink of being obsessed with her. No matter what, though, she’ll love me back. She’ll be mine soon.

Ajahni’s View.   †

I didn’t feel very determined anymore. Something was sucking up all my energy, whether it is Chanel or being here in Portland. It might be a little bit of both. Being able to talk to Chanel, like she’s an actual person inside of me, is interesting. But it scares me. She always tells me profound things, guiding me and swaying me from my thoughts of Christopher. Days have passed since I met Hodgy in the art store, but Chanel makes me miss him instead of wondering if he got in touch with Christopher.

“Yeah, meet me at my place in a few minutes. I just got off work and I’ll be there soon.” I said to Hodgy as I walked down the street toward my house. It was a little after seven o’ clock, the end of my shift at the art store that Hodgy took me to. It paid less than the movie theater, but it was enough to help me manage.

I hung up the phone and crossed the street over to the motel I was staying in. It was dark and the wintery air had no mercy for my bare ears. I rushed inside the building and went into the room.

(Make sure you look good for him.)

That was Chanel’s soft, sly voice in my head again. She always came at the right moments. I freshened up a bit and waited patiently for Hodgy to arrive. When he did, he smiled widely and kissed my forehead. It was a little uncomfortable for me; I hadn’t been in a relationship for a few years. Not that this was anything near a relationship.

(It could be. He wants it to be.)

(Leave me alone, Chanel.) I snapped back at her. I didn’t want her to be right.

“You never got back to me on that thing.” I said, allowing him to wrap his arms around my waist.

“What thing?”

“You said you would look into the link you got to Chris—I mean, Frank, but you never told me what happened with that.”

He looked slightly uncomfortable then. “Oh, about that…we had the wrong link. The name on the list was someone else.” He said.

I sighed and went over to the bed. It was stupid of me to expect anything more than that. Yet another failure in this search.

“But, Chanel, that doesn’t mean that you have to be sad. I’m here for you. I’m kind of…waiting for you.” Hodgy trailed off. I looked up at him and he had a warm smirk on his face.