6.1

ONE MONTH LATER

WE HAD SPENT 30 DAYS in the Commonwealth, but for some it still felt like there was work to be done. I couldn't help, but think that something bad will happen, waking up everyday and expecting to hear screaming and panic, but nothing. I needed to stop overreacting, but I couldn't. I told Leigh about my worries and he reassured me nearly everyday that we're okay, and considering we live together I can't exactly escape him. Although, I thought that as a good thing. 

It was just me, Leigh and CJ in one small apartment. There was a small kitchen, living room and two bedrooms. CJ stayed in the one down the hall whilst Leigh and I shared a room at the top, which contained one bed. Lucky us, but not so lucky since we have a walking birth control down the hall. I felt bad because my dad was on his own with Judith and RJ, but they said they were doing well.

It was Halloween weekend at Commonwealth, meaning there were a variety of different activities. There was a small petting zoo that Ezekiel helped run since he used to be a zoo keeper, and CJ loved petting the little animals. Multiple stands full of sweets, candy floss and fresh cookies baked by Carol and I. Yes, I worked in a bakery. Leigh was the lucky one to be able to try out to be one of the guards, alongside my dad and Rosita. CJ even had the chance to go to school properly with the rest of the kids.

Out of old habits, I still kept a knife securely near my boot, but that was all. If I was caught with weapons then I have no idea how I would react since there's always heavy armed guards walking around. Yet, I didn't complain.

I held Leigh's hand as we walked down the street, admiring CJ skipping with a cookie in his mouth. He fell in love with the place immediately once he saw it. He even dressed up for the 'costume contest', aka, he dressed up as a pirate. In the distance we saw my dad with Judith and RJ, CJ looked up at me and I nodded, allowing him to run over to say hi.

"This place still feels weird." I admitted, briefly looking up at Leigh for a moment. "It doesn't feel right."

"Don't stress, maybe this place could actually work." He replied softly. "CJ appears to love it."

"Well he's a kid, he has no worries." I sigh, looking over to CJ who was talking to Judith and a newer girl. "I just don't want to give him any false hope about this place."

He put his arm around my shoulders, squeezing loosely as we made a slow walk to Carol and my dad. "This place seems like it's been standing longer than we have, I'm sure there's nothing to worry about." He gave a quick nod to my dad to say hello as we approached. "We're fine here, just give it a chance, okay?"

Carol smiled warmly at us, "Still having trouble settling in?" I gave a small nod whilst Carol gave me a free cookie.

"Do I need to pay for this too?" I sarcastically asked. Leigh playfully rolled his eyes as Carol chuckled. "What? I find it ridiculous."

"Find what ridiculous?" My dad then questioned, looking from RJ to me.

I gestured my arms to the place around us, "Everythin'. I literally have money in my back pocket. I'm surprised they even have all this shit still standin'."

RJ chuckled, "Bad word, Li."

A lot of cheer and clapping erupted the place. I looked behind me to see a tall, white-haired woman step out of a building. Pamela Milton. Basically, in my thoughts, the governor of the place, and I've had bad experiences with governors.

She was handing out candy floss to the children. I watched CJ and Judith's faces as they tried it for the first time, smiling with glee as they had some more until it was all gone.