Chapter 3 - Reunited brothers

"Cloud?" Reno stares at Cloud in awe.

"Reno...I never thought I would see you again."

"Cloud, why are you here?"

"I could be asking you the same question."

At a young age Cloud began training to become a soldier. Back when he was a soldier, Reno and him were joined at the hip; they were the closest thing these two had to family. Until the day Cloud realized all his training was worth nothing. He was just another pawn for Shinra to play with. Shinra is the head of Gaia; he controls all sectors, soldiers and citizens. They are all just pawns to him, nothing more. Shinra pretends to be all high and mighty when in reality he takes from his citizens and doesn't give back. The only thing Shinra will give to is power. When Cloud came to this realization he tried to convince Reno to run away with him. But Reno believed he was upholding justice and was too stubborn to believe otherwise. The pain Cloud felt when Reno denied him was indescribable. Cloud loved Reno like a brother, but Cloud could not stand fighting for injustice. Once they went their separate ways these two never spoke again — until now.

As Cloud carried Reno along the hallways, Reno couldn't stand the silence. So he tried to make small talk.

"So...what have you been up to?"

Cloud remained silent.

"I've changed since then ya know."

Reno tried to make Cloud talk but it was no use, he wouldn't budge. Until this idea dawned on him —

"I'll tell you where the exit is if you talk to me."

Cloud's ears perked up.

"Tell me where the exit is." He demanded.

"Not unless you hear me out."

Cloud stayed silent once again.

"I'll take your silence as a yes. I was battling Sephiroth earlier and that's how I ended up here."

Now, Cloud was listening; "Why were you battling Sephiroth?!"

"He went against Shinra and decided to abduct me for information."

Cloud sighed.

"Knowing you I should have known it would be about Shinra."

But I doubt Sephiroth abducted you for questioning. Cloud said to himself.

"Just...let me finish. I gave up on Shinra long ago. After you left I really started observing each and everything. I realized you were right, the longer I stayed there, the more I was convinced I was wrong."

"Why didn't you try to leave then?"

"I couldn't, the more I was convinced about Shinra's wrongdoings, the more eyes he had on me. It was impossible to escape."

Cloud didn't know how to react, so he kept quiet.

"Plus you know me, I'm not the brightest haha..."

Something about Reno's sad comment made Cloud laugh to himself a little.

After quite some time Reno and Cloud finally arrived at the exit.

"We will part ways here." Cloud stated.

"But what if I don't wanna leave you, have you ever considered that?"

"Reno, then what about Shinra having constant surveillance on you?"

"When Sephiroth abducted me, no one came to my rescue; meaning Shinra no longer cares for me...not that he ever did."

"Reno, how could you be sure of that?"

"Who cares?! We're finally reunited and all you wanna do is to leave to god knows where!"

"Reno calm down Sephiroth could hear you-"

"Cloud listen to me for once in your life would'ya! Even when we were kids you would never listen to me and here I thought you might have changed-"

"Then maybe I'm not the person you thought I was." Cloud said, interrupting Reno.

Reno was rendered speechless, Cloud's words cut deep. To think the person you thought of as your brother would say such a thing. Reno had given up, he accepted the fact Cloud was not going to leave with him. Reno's heart ached, but he couldn't resist the urge to ask Cloud one last thing

"...can I still consider you my brother?"

Before Cloud could even think of a response Sephiroth suddenly appeared.

Sephiroth smirked sinisterly at Reno. "I'll be taking him, thank you."

"Sephiroth?!" Cloud exclaimed.

"Did you really believe I would let you go so easily my dumb little Cloudy Wouty?"

"Excuse me, you're what?! Let me go!"

Before he knew it, Cloud was in Sephiroth's grasp once again.