Chapter 4

By morning, both Haddock siblings were up and out of the house after Freya made them both something to eat before Hiccup's training. Afterward, the siblings walked together to the arena. While they were walking together, they enjoyed the silence. It was a peaceful silence that made them both comfortable. Though things like this happened quite often, they enjoyed each other's company without ever having to speak a word to each other.

When they got there, all the other teens were already there inside the ring. Freya turned towards Hiccup and smiled, "Do your best and remember what I told you last night." She advised showing off her playful smile, then walked away from him, taking her place in the stands.

Hiccup sighed but waved goodbye as he walked in behind the other teens. The other teens were much meaner than Hiccup and honestly stronger than him. It upset the redhead to see her brother getting teased like this, but it's not like anything she did would make them stop. That was just the way this tribe's social hierarchy worked.

During Gobber's instructions, she stopped paying attention, pulling out her healer's book. The only reason she was reviewing it today was to see if any herbs might accelerate the healing process for the dragon she found.

There were a few medicinal herbs that helped when put together. The only issue was that this book had been created with humans in mind. Freya did not have a single clue as to know if it would have the same effect on a large dragon. How much would she have to make if it did? The large reptile was at the very least the weight of two or three adult humans.

Freya sighed and closed the book turning her attention to the other teens again when she heard their frantic yelling.

"Wait! Aren't you going to teach us first?!" Snotlout yelled in panic when he saw Gobber ready to open up the cage that help the Gronckle.

"I believe in learning on the job." He said before pulling down on the lever.

Almost instantly, the Gronckle shot out, and her peers raced around to avoid the large dragon. "Quick!" Gobber shouted from the side of the arena. "What's the first thing you need?"

"A doctor?!" Hiccup shouted.

"Plus five-speed?!" Fishlegs yelled right after.

Freya facepalmed and rubbed the bridge of her nose, "A shield, you need a shield." She murmured, hoping at least one of them would know. Since she was a healer she wasn't allowed to participate in dragon training with the teens training to be warriors, but she was still given private lessons by Gothi to keep herself safe.

Astrid and Wren were the only ones who seemed to know that as they dived for a shield though Astrid was the one who shouted out the answer.

Gobber nodded, sending her a thumbs up. "That's right, a shield! Now go!" He said, sending all the other shieldless teens diving for one of the shields that laid around the ring. "If you have to choose between the sword and the shield, take the shield!" He said as he shoved the shield Hiccup was struggling with into his arms.

Freya watched anxiously, her brother wasn't very good at this. As far as she was aware no one had ever died from this, but with his bad luck so far, he could become the first. She watched Hiccup's movements, harshly biting on her bottom lip. Hiccup was unfocused and uncoordinated, anyone could see that. Her eyes shifted over to the twins as they were shot at, "They'll be visiting the Gothi's hut after that." She mumbled.

Astrid had the bright idea to start banging on her shield to disorientate the dragon."Those shields are good for another thing. Noise." Gobber said, gesturing to Astrid who was already doing just that. "And make lots of it! It keeps a dragon confused, throws off its aim."