Chapter 3 - New Faces

This week flew by as we continued to unpack and get settled into our new life. Some of the neighbors came over and introduced themselves and offered their help if we needed it. Everyone was very warm and inviting to us and it felt great to know we were like family. Anyways, school. I and Sarah were enrolling in to Rollings High School and my brother was able to be homeschooled since he really wanted to focus on his "gaming career." Yea, good luck. Our first day was tomorrow and I was nervous but somewhat excited to see what it was going to be like. 

The big day has arrived. I got out of bed brushed my teeth, changed into new underwear, and put on army green chino pants, my silver bracelet, a black t-shirt, a white long shirt crewneck, and a pair of white converse. I styled my hair, which is short and slightly longer on the top - just enough to give it some pizzazz, and I was ready to face the real world. Sarah took her time getting ready because, for her, first impressions are a must. "LET'S GO KIDS!" mom yelled from downstairs. Holy shit, it was actually happening, time to take a deep breath and get it over with.   

We got into our black Yukon, where mom was waiting with the heater on. "Ready for your first day?" mom said with a cute and high-pitched voice. "Mom we're not 3, we can handle ourselves just fine," said Sarah in an annoyed yet confident voice. I reaffirmed what Sarah said but with a little hesitation. 

After a 10-minute drive, I saw the front of the high school. It actually looked really nice, almost like a mini castle vibe you get from Harry Potter. The parking lot was crazy full of other parents dropping off their little minions who could very well could be devils at heart. We got to the dropoff location, Sarah and I hugged mom goodbye and strutted our stuff to the main entrance, only getting a few looks from fellow classmates. 

We made it to the counselor where we would be assigned our classes. I was nervous sweating, mostly at the armpits, getting anxious Sarah and I would separate because we had different classes. Luckily, our first class was together, but the rest weren't. Looking down the hall, we checked every door tag to see where our classroom was. We found the room and both took a deep breath and opened the door already filled with students. As we walked in, everyone looked up and stared right at us, kinda gave me murder vibes at first. Then the teacher broke the silence and excitedly said "class, these are our newest members Sarah and Dylan!" We awkwardly waved and were nicely told to find the two pre-named seats ready for us near the side of the room. I heard some murmurs coming from the back and on the other side of the classroom, but otherwise, class started as normal. 

45 minutes later and we all got up to funnel out of the small doorway. I waited outside the doorway for Sarah and we gave each other a comical movie-like goodbye as we search for our new class...alone. We turned our backs to each other and walked away, I'm sure smiling based on our "goodbye forever moment." As crowded as the hallways were, they were empty with a few stragglers running to their next class. I was struggling to find my way around starting to panic I might miss my second class. I started to walk faster and sweat more until I saw another person walking down the hallway toward me. I politely asked her if she knew where classroom 3B was. "I'm on my way there now, follow me!" she cheerfully said. As we walked I nervously said, "I'm Dylan, the new kid." She looked at me smiling and replied, "nice to meet you, Dylan, my name is Sam." "Well, here was are, 3B. Hopefully, you can remember tomorrow." as she winks at me.

We enter the room together and the entire class, again, stares at me as the teacher introduces me to everyone. Without Sarah, I was certainly more nervous but composed myself knowing I was sitting next to Sam. Again, murmurs were coming from the back of the room, but this time they seemed intentionally loud for me to hear. "Look at the new kid." Someone said. "Who dressed his ugly ass." Another said. 

"Oh, don't pay attention to them." "They are the biggest losers at this school, Markus and Olivia," Sam said in a firm voice. "They will do anything to ruin someone's life, so stay clear of saying anything to them." I looked back toward them and saw two people leaning close to each other whispering. Olivia was dressed in all black somewhat overweight with black hair and purple highlights. Markus looked nearly identical, but didn't have purple highlights, they were orange. Holy shit I said to myself as I turned back around to focus on the teacher. 

Ironically, Sam and I had the same classes up until lunchtime, so I stuck with her, which I thought was going to annoy her but she didn't mind at all.  At lunch, I saw Sarah and waved to her from across the room. I told Sam, "There's my sister, would you like to meet her?" "Of course!" she excitedly said. We made it over to where Sarah was and sat down to have lunch together.