Chapter 6: Starving

After those fatidic events, Michael tried doing his best to adapt, but found himself immediately struggling, despite all the information about humans he'd read about back in Heaven. The first problem he'd encountered had to do with his body: it had been three days since he'd been stripped of his powers and he was feeling weaker and weaker despite Ezekiel doing such a wonderful job healing him. What was he doing wrong? He was living like he'd always lived, but after the first day on earth he'd began feeling empty and tired and would wake up feeling nauseous and suffering mad headaches. He believed that had to do with the loss of his powers, the Ophanims had to have placed a curse on him! He couldn't continue like that, so one evening he decided to go find Zachary, thinking he'd surely have a solution for Michael's troubles since he'd been through all the same things many centuries prior. The Seraphim had no idea where he lived, but he knew he'd usually spend his evenings at the Droplet, so that's where he headed.

He didn't trust public transport quite yet, so he walked all the way from his hotel to the club, even if in hindsight that had been a terrible decision, because by the time Michael had reached the front of the building, his vision had become hazy and he ended up having to sit down, his head spinning.

Shortly after, a certain chubby bartender walked out the front door and bumped onto Michael's semi-conscious body, slumped onto the entrance "Qu- OH MON DIEU! M-Michael!!"

Hearing that voice, the Seraphim limped up, holding onto the wall for support "E-Eden... is... is Zachary here?"

"N-non, the club isn't even open yet! But- you're so pale! What happened? Come, come inside-" the French man stuttered, clearly concerned for him.

"I-I'm fine just- a bit... dizzy..." Michael's voice trailed off as he felt his body going limp; luckily Eden was there to catch him in his soft and surprisingly strong arms, his belly working as a makeshift pillow for the rest of the fallen Angel's body.

"Oh j-jeez! C-come on, I'll let you lay down on a couch..."

Michael weakly nodded and let Eden lead him inside, where he sat back on a couch while Eden fixed him a drink, just some simple water with lemon juice and sugar.

"Voilà, this should make you feel better!"

"I... hope so..." he mumbled, taking a sip "I must apologize, I'm always crashing at your workplace" he added, lowering his glance in embarrassment.

"Aw, Chérie, don't mention it! I'm the boss here anyway- well, technically mon père is, but I am second in command! So it's not like you're getting me into trouble or anything" Eden said, trying to reassure him "More importantly, can I get you anything to eat? It's on the house!"

"Eat? N-no, sorry, I don't really do that"

The bartender froze "W-what do you mean by that?"

"I uh... I don't eat?"

Eden widened his eyes in horror "You mean to tell me... you haven't eaten a SINGLE bite since you got here on Earth?! Oh mon dieu, no wonder you feel like shit! You need to eat to survive, you idiot!" he flailed his arms, freaking out. he couldn't believe what Michael had been putting himself through.

The Seraphim somewhat shrunk in his seat, Eden's words piercing right through his ego "I-I've never eaten a-anything before, Angels don't really need to do that so..."

The chubby man sighed deeply, face-palming "Alright, super... anyway, I'll go get something ready for you- what would you like, sweet or savory?"

"M-maybe... savory?" Michael mumbled, fidgeting with his hands. He'd never tried food before, what if he didn't like it? What if something bad happened after eating it? What if he COULDN'T eat it?

While he was busy wondering all of those things, Eden had gone off and made him a quick chicken burger and after a few minutes, he placed it in front of him.

"Eat up, Chérie"

Michael looked at the burger in front of him, finding the smell inebriating and the colors extremely inviting, the golden breading of the chicken, the fresh green of the lettuce... he looked at Eden, then back at the burger, slowly grabbing it and taking a bite.

That sent a shock through his body; it was so flavorful, so satisfying, so amazingly good! He quickly took another bite, then another and another, tears welling up in his eyes as he slowly realized just how much his body needed that. "How... how is this so good...?" thinking the bartender had surely put something special in it in order to make it so tasty.

Eden chuckled "I think after abstaining yourself from food for so long... anything would taste amazing, wouldn't you agree?"

The Seraphim had to admit... that sounded about right. It was the first thing he'd ever tasted aside from the occasional beverage- it was such a completely different experience.

"Say..." Eden spoke up after a bit "Why... did you refuse to eat all throughout your life? I- understand you somehow didn't need to but, to really never even feeling curious about what something tasted like... and I know there had to be food where you lived- otherwise Ezy wouldn't be as big as he is- so... why did you never try it?"

"Gluttony is a sin- I was trying to make a statement, to show that... as an Angel, I was beyond food or- anything else that could've led to sin, I wanted to be a good role model you know? Being part of the Council and all..." Michael explained, as if that were the most normal thing.

The bartender sighed "Bien, you're a human now so... no more of that! Just do what your body tells you to do; if you're hungry, eat, if you're tired, sleep and so on... you don't have to prove anything to anybody and nobody will judge you for tending to your needs" he said, smiling a bit and putting a hand on his shoulder.

Michael chuckled "Easier said than done" he muttered before finally finishing his burger... though he found himself quickly craving for more. He was tempted to ask for something else, but grew embarrassed of that thought. He did NOT want to seem like he was taking advantage of Eden's generosity! But his stomach did the work for him, growling slightly, causing the Seraphim's face to go beet red.

"Still hungry, are we?" the French man teased.

"S-shut up-" Michael hissed, blushing more.

Eden smiled kindly and went back to the kitchen to make him something else and came back shortly after with some fries and chicken nuggets.

Michael looked at what he'd brought him, it looked and smelled delicious, but now that he was finally starting to feel better, he was also noticing what kinds of foods he was being offered "Is... is there not a... healthier option to get my energies back up?"

The chubby man giggled "Sorry, you're in the wrong place for that"

Michael sighed, he knew those weren't exactly the best things to eat, but then why did they taste so good? He wondered, humming to himself as he ate the fries and nuggets.

The bartender couldn't help but smile as he saw how much the Seraphim was enjoying what he'd made for him. "So... have you settled somewhere already? Like- a house or apartment?" he eventually asked, getting an idea.

"I'm... staying at a hotel for now, but I don't have money, so I'll probably won't be able to sleep there for much longer" he explained.

"Hm... well- if you can't find anything, maybe we could be flatmates? It's kind of lonely at my place since Heather isn't living with us anymore" Eden suggested, blushing a bit.

Michael stopped eating for a moment "What?"

"I-I mean... we always have a guest room ready... plus, I think you could use my help adapting to human life, we don't want what happened today to repeat itself now, do we?"

The Seraphim sighed "Certainly not..."

"So... is it a yes?"

"Yeah... thank you, Eden" he said and he resumed eating.