Prologue

Heal Me - Prologue

"Mr. Fujioka, I'm so glad that you could make it."

"Yeah, hi." I nodded at Ms. Kaneki and toyed with my hands "I'm sorry that I was a little late... Traffic was killer."

"I'm sure it was" Ms. Kaneki smiled as she held onto her pastel pink clipboard that rested against her knees. "So tell me, how has your home life been since our last meeting?"

"Okay I guess." I bobbed my head up and down slightly as I licked my lips nervously. "Um... Dad's been a little jumpy around me since I started my meds - but it could be worse I guess."

Ms. Kaneki subtly nodded "How had Haruhi reacted?"

"She's taken it in stride I guess. She reminds me to take my pills in the morning and distracts dad when he tries to smother me."

"That's good. Now, how has your father been quote unquote smothering you? Has he been giving you more attention than usual?"

"Yeah." I nodded once again keeping my eyes trained on my hands or the little colored glass ornaments hanging in the large window of Ms. Kaneki's office.

"And he makes me eat a large meal at dinner time even if my stomach can't really handle it, or he'll appear out of nowhere and constantly ask if I'm okay... I - I'm really not used to this treatment and it's kinda freaking me out."

"Have you told your father this?" Ms. Kaneki looked concerned as she stared into my very being with her coffee bean colored eyes.

I kept my eyes adverted and switched my gaze to the contorted cherry blossom tree that stood outside of the painted blue office before I took a few deep, chest shaking breaths. "I - I don't want to hurt him more than I already have." My voice cracked slightly and I rubbed the back of my hands against my teary eyes. "He was so distraught when I told him I was depressed... He kept asking me if it was his fault - which it wasn't. And even when I tried to reassure him it had nothing to do with him or his parenting he still looked so broken..."

Ms. Kaneki let out a soft breath before she set her clipboard on her desk to give me her full attention. "Harou... You have to understand that this is not unusual - for a parent to feel responsible for their child's ailment. Parents naturally worry about their children, and when they are informed that their flesh and blood is depressed or that they even intentionally harm themselves... It's a foreign feeling or horror because their child is sick and they may have never realized it before. They wonder it there was anything that they could have done to prevent the depression or the scars... You shouldn't blame yourself for how your father feels."

"I - I Know that... But it still hurts."

"Give it time. I know it sounds cliché, but if you want your life to improve, you have to be patient. Stability isn't achieved in a single day." Reaching behind her, Ms. Kaneki pulled her clipboard back out and sent me a reassuring smile. "Would you like to tell me about the school you had mentioned in a previous appointment? You and your sister, Haruhi both received scholarships, correct?"

I knew she was changing the subject to try and kill the panicked emotions that were starting to swallow me whole when talking about home and I was very grateful for it. I started therapy a little less than a month ago and I was hardly close to feeling one-hundred percent. So much had changed after I scheduled my first appointment, but I could tell that I was progressively getting better.

"Um, you're right. And it's a private school called Ouran academy."

School was starting next week and I was so nervous. Haruhi got into Ouran for an academic scholarship but me... It's not nearly as impressive. A couple weeks ago Haruhi and I received two letters stating that we were accepted into Ouran. Haruhi because she's a straight A student and me because I could play a few instruments...

"Please Harou, tell me more."