PROLOGUS

Prologue:

Phoenix grimaced at the bright glare. Cold wind brushed her cheeks lazily. She closed her eyes and turned her head to the left, opening her eyes again to the shaded area of the rocks. How long was she out for? Last she knew, she had passed out after fighting the Genesis copies a few hours ago. It wasn't in the middle of the Midgar desert. Was it?

Phoenix attempted to sit up, a muffled cry of agony was released of it's cage as pain rippled through her body, burning casting fires in her veins. Hands quickly veiled the source of the pain, heated liquid pooling onto her left hand nonchalantly.

She looked to her right side, removing her hands long enough to know she had acquired an injury to her lower thorax, not deep enough to be fatal but enough to make her drowsy and feel lethargic.

Gunshots resounded in the darkening sky, dark clouds of grey honing in on the desert surrounding Midgar. She stayed, waiting for the noise to go away. Waiting for the rehabilitation of the ringing in her ears to freeze.

But it came all too abruptly. Sounds of helicopters and fighting leaving the eery feeling of death.

She stood, over passing the angered wound as fear worked it's way through her wilting body, her adorned strength diminishing progressively.

With every step she took, her limbs were sodden, her breaths laboured. Mako enhancements only did so much to ease her suffering. The heavenly well had cracked, it's waters pouring from the heavens and covering the dry ground. The rain pelted down onto her, crimson hair falling in front of her face as water streamed through the strands and down her pale face, now darkened with vexation.

She collapsed to her knees in front of the fifth rock pile she had walked passed. The rain had not faltered, only strengthened. Her skin was turning numb as bare arms hit the wet, desert floor. She fought back her injury's onslaught, standing up only to fall back down again after five, weighted steps.

Her destination came into view. Her brother was there, as still as can be as he laid on the floor, blood pooling from underneath him. Phoenix crawled towards him, her strength dwindling even further with every drag of her body.

"Zack? What...what happened?" She croaked out in between exhausted breaths.

Zack slowly turned his drenched head toward her, "I...became a hero. I think."

"Not funny, Zack." She blinked, thankful that the rain was cold and numbing her limbs. Numbing her physical hurt.

Zack gave her a small smile and reached out to take her arm. "Phoenix, you are ... people should be jealous that they don't have .. a sister like you."

Phoenix shook her head. "No. People need a brother like you. Always."

"We never acted like SOLDIER. Titles didn't effect us. We were...us. You had your doubts, but they were quickly healed by what you found. What you will find again in the future." Zack sighed, "Hey, whenever you are at Cloud's side, protect him for me."

Phoenix nodded solemnly. "As best as I can." Her body shook, her mouth became dry and her eyes were burning. She opened her mouth as if to speak, but all she could do was choke out sobs as she rested her head on Zack's chest, tears flowing down her cheeks.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ♥ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I apologise forthwith for it being short.

please try to vote and comment, they are very welcome in my humble abode. Next update should be withing the week.

Thank you for reading.