Ghosts

AUTHORS NOTE: Only a  mere few days have passed since the tragic Edenbrook Attack. One perpetrator killed by his own ammunition, two civil servants killed on duty, two traumatised survivors, and a hospital now in the midst of its darkest hour. In todays chapter we see for the first time how the fallout directly impacted the Edenbrook doctors, and the beginning of the difficult road to recovery. This is 'Ghosts' and I hope you enjoy :)

WARNING: This story contains sensitive topics such as Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, Addiction, Grief and Death

WARNING: This story contains sensitive topics such as Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, Addiction, Grief and Death. Read with Caution.

Ethan

Stable heart rate

Toxin levels nearing zero

Breathing, improving

Slowly decreasing fever

For the past few days I've walked through this hospital amongst a sea of faceless people while the halls have felt bare, lifeless, cold, and somehow dark even under fluorescent lighting.

Somehow, the world was moving fast around me while I have merely been drifting through it with no ability to catch up with it...

I've been stuck in my own world where the only thing of any importance are those next readings.

After treading wearily through those halls, muscle memory taking me to her room... The world that had been black and white...

The face blindness-

All of it lifted

Once I saw her.

With the sun not even fully up yet, I stood in the doorway as small shadows lay cast over an amber lit room,  my arms folded as Valerie lay asleep; the beeps from her monitors filled the silence, the flowers dotted around filled the space...

but only in the room.

Pale, although not has pale has she had been- cheeks that are still hollow making her look drained... weak

Of course she still was... 

But seeing it on her face- the face of someone who's mere smile would light up a room, full of so much life and enthusiasm...

To see her like this? Hurts more than words could ever express.

Because while I often teased her about her good and happy nature... I wouldn't want her any other way.

Upon a murmur, I stood up straight just as her heart rate was starting to climb; and is if on cue the muscle memory sprang into action again.

"Valerie-" I stroked her hair back with both hands, her discomfort becoming more obvious as her breathing became laboured. 

"Valerie, wake up, It's just a nightmare..."