Chapter 2: A Suitable Take Over Subject

Say Mira," almost a month had passed since they left Fairy Tail, and Natsu had learned the basics of take over magic. "Why are you always reading the paper?"

"The best way to practice take over magic is to take over something," Mira said. "But demons aren't exactly easy to find. So every time we're in a town I pick up the paper to see if there are any strange phenomena."

"Is that right?" The dragon slayer was scarfing down breakfast.

Mira nodded, smiling at the pink haired mage's resilience. "And we're in luck. I found evidence of a demon in this region. It's not as powerful as my highest take over souls, but it's powerful enough to be worth taking over."

"I'm fired up!" Natsu grinned.

"Then let's get going." Mira led the way through the forest.

After running for several minutes, they came to a devastated area. Trees were crushed to pieces, others had been disintegrated entirely to ash. In the center was an enormous crater.

"It's nearby," Mira looked at the widespread destruction. And it might be more powerful than the reports said.

"Alright!" Natsu stepped out. "Hey demon! Come out and fight if you're out there!"

Mira couldn't help smiling at the dragon slayer's typical head-on approach. "That's not going to work Natsu…" Suddenly the dragon slayer leapt away from the clearing, just in time to avoid a dark blast that decimated all the trees in 10 yards from his position.

There was the demon, emerging from the other side of the immense crater. He had a hooked nose, a sharp, pointed chin, and black markings that covered the top of his head and came down around his eyes, making the top half of his head look almost black. His arms ended in clawed hands, and his wings were leathery with sharp barbs on the end of them. He also had an armored tail with spikes on the end.

This is on par with Sitri's power, Mirajane realized as she felt the power of the oncoming demon. Natsu should be powerful enough to handle it, but still…

"Natsu, don't give him time to attack again!" She cried. "Use take over, now!"

At first she thought nothing happened. Then the demon slowly disintegrated, being pulled into Natsu's body. When it was complete, Natsu took on the form of the demon. Mirajane waited, breathless.

It took a couple minutes, but then the demon spoke in Natsu's voice. "Alright! I've got it!"

Mirajane smiled. "Good. Now you need to practice his abilities. The time when you're most likely to lose control in a take over is when you're fighting."

Natsu focused, remembering his training, and attuned with the power of the demon soul. He sent out a black blast of magic about 50 meters away.

The explosion was magnificent. It created a crater over 100 meters wide and nearly 20 meters deep. Mirajane barely got out of the blast area in time.

"Alright…" she said. "Now we need to work on control."

"Aye sir!" exclaimed Happy, who was singed despite hovering 10 meters over the dragon slayer.

Natsu grinned ruefully, rubbing the back of his head.

~At the guild~