Chapter 9

"Are you sure you don't want to-"

"I'm fine," Evan cut Amanda off, sitting stiffly in the chair in the doctors room waiting for him to arrive.

"But we could just-"

"I said no," Evan said firmly, glaring at the blurry Amanda or so he thought. She was actually on his other side and he was glaring at a computer.

"I can easily get their number-"

"For the final time, no," Evan said, pinching the bridge of his nose. Being without his glasses was giving him a headache.

There was a small pause, Amanda rocking back and forth on her heels not saying anything for all of about thirty seconds before she started speaking again. "We should at least call them and tell them where you are. That's all I'm saying," Amanda said quickly before Evan could cut her off.

"They're not going to care. They probably haven't even noticed I'm gone," Evan grumbled, squirming in his chair wishing for... something. After a moment, he realized he was looking for something- someone to hold onto so he quickly stopped sighing loudly.

"You're their mate. Of course they care!" Amanda said chipperly just before they heard the doctor coming. He was also a werewolf so they didn't have to hide anything but Amanda knew Evan wouldn't want to talk about this in front of others. That was exactly why she had said that knowing Evan couldn't go on another rant about how unworthy he was to be Quinton and Damien's mate, Evan glaring in Amanda's direct who was probably smiling back at him like an innocent angel.

"I despise you sometimes," Evan growled through the mind link, kidding of course but he must not have sounded as menacing as he was going for as Amanda let out a snort just as the doctor opened the door.

"Hello there Evan. I heard you broke your glasses and are looking for a temporary replacement. I was thinking, while we're at it, we can get your eyes checked to see if we need to make any adjustments before we make you a new pair of glasses," Dr. Hendrick said in his usual chipper, straight forward, friendly tone. He wasn't one to beat around the bush and he liked things to be very simple.

"That sounds good, I guess," Evan said with a shrug, Amanda leaving the room to wait in the front area for him.

The check-up wasn't all that long, Evan looking through different types of lenses to see which one worked best for him. The doctor put in the order for his new glasses before having Evan try on a few different pair of glasses that fit his particular vision. Once Evan found one that he liked, a pair of round owl ones that looked bad but fit his vision best, Evan made his way to the waiting room where Amanda was still waiting for him. Evan got exactly two steps from the hallway leading to the examining rooms when he stopped dead in his tracks, his eyes going bug-eyed for a moment looking over Amanda's head who seemed to have her nose stuck in a magazine. Above Amanda's head, standing outside the large picture window that had the optometrists logo on it, was... Damien and Quinton! Both of them were standing outside the window, looking in, who both perked up when they saw him. Quinton's face lit up like a Christmas tree, waving at Evan, while Damien was staring at him with rapt attention like a bloodhound on the hunt. Evan, for his part, blinked owlishly at them before removing his glasses. He rubbed at his eyes, used his shirt to clean the lenses, and even shook his head as if that would clear his mind from any delusions, hallucinations, or fantasies but both young Alpha's were still there when he put his glasses back on.

"A-Amanda," Evan called over still staring at the two teenage boys considering his fight-or-flight reflexes, obviously leaning more towards flight in this moment. He wouldn't even know what "fight" would entail in this moment. Demanding they leave him alone and go be happily mated together like they were supposed to be? Alone. Without him!