Chapter 27: Hazel Martinez

"Is it alright if I ask you another personal question?"

Octavius swallows his bite of waffles coated in syrup and nods his head.

"Sure. I'm an open book for you."

He's the perfect man. He has flaws; there's no doubt about that. However, he's the perfect man for me. That's what matters most.

"Your scar-" he hums in acknowledgment "-how did you get it?"

"There's a long story behind it. If you want to listen, I'll tell you."

"I wanna listen. If you're willing to tell it."

"You should know. I mean, it's kind of the reason I even ended up in the Devil's Rose MC."

"Vegas and I had a pretty bad fight one night about being in the frat. I hated it but didn't want to leave because I felt a lot of pressure to stay. It was just easier to stay. He, however, wanted to leave asap. He was over it and never wanted to go back into that world. So we fought."

I mean that makes sense. If his parents or other pressures were getting him to stay in the frat, and it was easier to stay, then it makes sense that he would take the easier path.

Most people take the easy way when they can. It's a universal decision or desire. It's not always the best choice.

But I also get Vegas' side. If he wasn't happy, he shouldn't have stayed in the environment. Neither of them should have to.

"There was a frat party that night. I decided to have only a beer or two, and I promise that's all I had."

Why does he feel the need to promise?

"Vegas decided that he wasn't going to control himself. He got drunk, very drunk. So drunk that he got alcohol poisoning about halfway through the night. It was like one in the morning or something. I wasn't around because I didn't want to party."

Oh fuck. That's not good. Who was looking out for Vegas then?

"It wasn't until some random sorority girl told me that my friend was vomiting and his skin was blue. I immediately knew what it was. I rushed inside the house, and she guided me to where he was. His heartbeat was so fucking slow, Hazel. I was pissed and scared."

Anyone would be. That's a terrible situation to be put in. I cannot believe no one else was looking out for him. Aren't frats supposed to be based on a brotherhood of sorts? Isn't part of the whole frat thing having someone looking out for you? I was clearly never part of that, but I don't know, it seems awfully weird to me that Octavius was the only one looking out for Vegas.

"I couldn't wait around for an ambulance. I just couldn't. I picked him up in my arms and carried him to the car. However, on the way to my car, someone who was drunk fell and smashed their beer bottle against the side of my face. When they were trying to stand back up, they pushed the glass into my face and dragged their hand."

Oh my fucking god. What the actual fuck?

"I was so hyped on adrenaline, I didn't even realize the extent of the damage from the glass or the blood rushing out of my face or that I even had glass close to my eye and under my skin. I drove him to the hospital, and I couldn't sit still so the nurses strapped me to the bed."

What the actual fuck?

"I was squirming around, and wouldn't be sedated, but they had to pull the glass out of my face before it went into my eye and caused major damage. The smashing of it plus the battle to get glass out caused my face to scar and look like lightning."

"Holy shit."

"Vegas healed. We dropped out of the frat and got our apartment to finish college. We couldn't stay in New York City, so we moved somewhere different from it. We worked as bartenders in the MC bar and soon after that, we became prospects. I felt low, guilty. I started thinking about just ending my pain. But after we became prospects, I started to learn to let that guilt go. That the only person who hasn't forgiven me was me."

What if he did the thing he was thinking about? I can't even think it. This wonderful man wouldn't be sitting here with me today. I would have never met one of the most beautiful people on this goddamn planet. So the only thing that comes out of my mouth is not what should have.

"What the fucking fuck?"

"Pretty much," he shrugs nonchalantly.

"I'm so sorry that happened to you, Tank," I whisper out, feeling the tears gathering in my eyes.

He smiles sadly at me and walks around the table to sit on my side of the booth. I gather him in my arms, breathing in his calming scent and trying not to cry all over his leather jacket. I cannot believe that happened to him.

He deserves so much better.

I have never been in that type of situation in my life before. I can't even think about how I would react to that. I would panic. I mean, as a teacher, I have to face certain threats and things like that, but if I saw my closest friend in danger, I have no idea what I would do.

It must be difficult living with that. I'm sure he feels somewhat guilty because he got into the fight with Vegas about staying in the one place that would end up almost killing him, but he's not to blame.

He couldn't have known what Vegas would decide to do. He wanted to do what he thought was best. At the time, it was staying in the frat, but I'm sure he's come to realize that having people disappointed in you is nothing compared to losing someone that you're close to.

Unless that disappointment and losing someone goes hand-in-hand. I'm sure that he does sometimes. As I said, he's the strongest man I know.

I should be comforting him, instead, he's doing the exact opposite.

"I'm sorry I'm crying. I know that-"

"Hey, don't worry about it. I know it's scary information to know. I understand why you're upset. I've had time to process what happened, and you're just learning about it. It's a lot to take in for anyone."

I tuck my forehead onto his shoulder, feeling the movement of his muscles against my fingers.

"How many people have you told about this?"

"Three, you included. My sister, my therapist, and you."

"A select group."

"Because I trust you, pumpkin."

"Thank you for trusting me."

"Thank you for allowing me to trust you."

He leans down, pressing a kiss to the top of my head per usual. We finish our meals soon after that, still sitting on the same side of the booth, and talk about more positive things. Generally, I like to talk about feelings and emotions and all of that, but I got the vibe that Octavius was done talking about the worst parts of his life, so I figured we could revisit the discussion another day.

I'm not going anywhere.

If anything, his ability to talk to me about it at all is something I admire. It only makes me want to stay with him more. I love everything about him. I'm so in love with him, it's crazy. I shouldn't be in love with him.

Although I know a lot about him, and I'm continuing to know more every day, it's odd to feel this happy and comforted in a relationship that's barely begun. I must have known him in a past life because this isn't normal.

It usually takes me months to even know that I have a crush on a guy. Now, after a week or something, I'm already in love. As much as I enjoy the feeling, that's not something anyone needs to know about. All I know is that every time I look at him it gets both easier and harder to breathe.

When I hear his name, my heart skips a beat. When he catches my eyes, I want to know every thought he's thinking. I want to know everything about him. I want to feel him touch me, hold me, caress me.

I want to be in his presence and hear his voice and smell his cologne. I want to be the last romantic interest he has. I want to be old with him. I want to have a family with him. I haven't known him long, but my future is him.

I'm meant to be his; it's not hard to tell.

Tank: Devil's Rose MC #6जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें