Chapter 2: Hazel Martinez

"You must be Miss Hazel."

"I am, yes, and you are?"

"Tank. Member and Vice President of the Devil's Rose MC."

Well, that's a hell of a way to introduce yourself.

"I came to take this little one off your hands."

"Hey! I'm not little! I'm already five," Navy teases and slaps him in the chest.

I wonder what his chest would feel like under my touch.

Tank rolls his eyes at the girl but doesn't argue.

"Are you a designated guardian?"

"A what?"

"So that's a no. I'm afraid you can't."

His eyebrows crinkle in frustration at my words, his eyes flicking up and down my body as if he were trying to memorize me and threaten me at the same time. He sets Navy on the ground and allows her to play with the motorcycle gloves that sit in his right hand.

"I don't understand."

"Well, a child must be picked up by their designated guardian-" I pick up the list sitting on my desk and scan for Tank even though I know he's not on there "-and you are not Navy's. Meaning that you cannot leave this building with her."

"But she knows me?"

"I don't care."

When did I get so brave?

"Her safety is my top priority, Miss Hazel."

"I agree. Which is why she isn't going with you."

"Aren't you now the person holding her hostage?"

"Excuse me? Holding her hostage?" I point one finger at the bulky man standing across the room from me before walking toward him.

"I'm not holding anyone hostage besides you."

"As much as I would enjoy that in a different situation, I have better things to do."

I'm so blushing right now. What is wrong with me? I'm never like this. Especially with guys that could break my neck in ten seconds without even trying. I'm sure he has a gun on him too. I should be as good as dead right about now.

"Look, I understand that the MC takes care of one another, but it's my job to take care of her until one of her designated guardians arrives. I'm not going to be sorry for that."

"I don't expect you to be. It's just that I'm here and they can't be right now, so I've been assigned to take her home."

"No."

"No?" he questions with a threatening tone, his eyes glaring at me.

"That's what I said," I bite out and cross my arms.

"Miss Hazel, please, let's compromise."

He's hot when he's trying to be diplomatic. He's also hot when he's arguing with me. He's kind of just hot all the way around.

"Here's my compromise. You leave and Navy stays until her actual guardians come."

Tank rolls his eyes at me, flicking his gaze to Navy, and then he stares back at me.

"Alright, here's mine then. We both go and drop her off at her house."

I give him a firm look, but he doesn't back down - not that I thought he would. Instead, he matches my stance, crossing his arms and tapping his boots heavily on the beige linoleum floor.

I don't know this man at all. I don't know anything about him. However, I have a feeling that he isn't going to back down until he gets his way. 

I don't hate the compromise, I would just rather not get in the car with a man I've never met to drop off a child to her parents who I know to live in the forest surrounded by nothing but trees. I've made stupid decisions in the past, but this certainly isn't going to be one of them.

"You can trust me."

"Untrustworthy people say those types of things, Tank," I rebuttal with a huff.

"Look, Miss Hazel. I'm tired. I've had a long day, and I want to sleep. I'm not going to hurt you, I don't have a reason to hurt you, and I just want to go home. So please, either agree to the compromise or just leave me alone."

He throws up his arms in defeat before taking Navy's hand in his.

I have no clue what to do. On the one hand, I get what he's saying, and I would appreciate being home too. On the other hand, won't I be jeopardizing my credibility as a teacher to protect the kids that I have to keep safe? 

What would people say if they found out that I just let Tank walk off with Navy in tow even though I didn't know who he was? As a Devil's Rose member, he probably has a reputation around Westmoor I don't want to harm my career because I want food and sleep. 

I give Navy another glance who is more than comfortable running from behind him and trying to launch herself onto his back. He stumbles a bit, making me smile, and then helps lift her onto his back. She lays her head on his shoulder, wrapping her arms loosely around his neck. 

It's clear to me that Tank isn't interested in hurting anyone and Navy adores him. Not only that, I trust the Devil's Rose MC, Whiskey, and Beatrice. If those three entities trust Tank, maybe I should too. Maybe I shouldn't worry so much.

"I'll compromise with you. Navy goes in my car though."

He freezes briefly, definitely not trusting my driving skills. I could be better yes, but I'm not going to run into anything or anyone. Eventually, he gives in though, swiping Navy's bags off the ground and waiting for me at the classroom door while I grab the rest of my things. 

We don't say a word to one another as he sets Navy down in the hallways, letting her run around the place like a monkey but also keeping a close eye on her. He observes us both as we get in my Subaru. He has some serious staring issues. He should get that checked out. 

I give him a small wave as I buckle my seatbelt before turning around to make sure Navy is all set in the backseat. She's pretty damn happy with my phone in her hand and David Bowie playing through my speakers. I don't think I've ever met a child so obsessed with David Bowie. 

Her favorite movie is Labyrinth. I've been told she watches it every Friday with a virgin pinã colada. I want her life. My pinã colada wouldn't be a virgin but still.

I give him a thumbs up before pulling out of the parking spot and following behind Tank's motorcycle. I can't believe he thought he was going to put a five-year-old kid on the back of that bike. What an idiot. A hot idiot but an idiot nonetheless. 

I am extra careful when driving through the back roads to their house. When I first met them which seems like forever ago but truly isn't, they told me their entire story of why they moved from a smaller house closer to the town to a larger house hidden more in the woods. 

Whiskey and Beatrice want to have more children but the smaller house wasn't good enough for large MC family gatherings or raising a family, so they saw the place once about two months ago, bought it two days later, and have been living in it ever since. Beatrice ended up getting pregnant soon after that. So, it worked out well for them.

I'm honestly kind of excited to see it. Especially since Navy cannot stop talking about her 'guygantic' house (she can't say gigantic right yet, it's adorable). That's something I love about my job. 

I love hearing kids not being able to pronounce words right, and then of course, if I'm doing my job, they will eventually be able to pronounce them correctly. It's just a cute phase of growing up that I love to see. 

It's not as cute when adults can't pronounce words correctly, funny but not cute. At least not all the time.

My heart races a mile a minute as we pull into Whiskey and Beatrice's driveway. As much as I enjoy being around the Devil's Rose MC members and know that they only hurt those who deserve it, I still get nervous to go into their spaces and places of business. 

What if I accidentally mess something up? Am I going to be targeted by a bunch of individuals with guns?