Chapter 22

Seek led the way back to the village. After the initial shock of seeing the cave, Juke and Seek calmed down back to normal. They traveled quickly since they were losing daylight. The carriage had come a little later than they were hoping. Not that it mattered to Akira anyway. There was nobody she was dying to see at home. She didn't care to hang out with her friends anymore, and instead spent most of her free moments training. They reached the gates shortly after sundown.

"Fox, come with me. Juke, you're relieved of duty for the day. See you at the training ground tomorrow, seven sharp."

Juke nodded. Then they parted ways, Akira and Seek to head toward the Hokage's tower.

When they reached it, they quickly made their way to the Hokage's office. Outside the doors were two ANBU members, one of which Akira recognized as Kakashi. The other one she didn't know. But he had a strange chakra signature that put her a little on edge.

"Dog," Seek greeted, sounding a bit glum.

"Seek," Kakashi greeted in return. "How'd the mission go?"

Seek gave Akira a sideways look, then turned back to Kakashi. "Successful. But we have another issue brewing now."

Akira refused to make eye contact with Kakashi. She didn't particularly feel like interacting with anyone at the moment. The thought of trying to sustain a conversation made her sick to her stomach with dread. The weight of the world was on her shoulders and that was the last thing she wanted.

"Lord Danzo and Lord Third are in a meeting at the moment. Do you need to speak with both of them?" Kakashi asked.

Seek nodded, and Kakashi turned and knocked three times on the door.

"Enter," Lord Third called.

Seek pushed open the doors and lead the way inside. As Akira walked past Kakashi, he subtly reached out and brushed the back of her hand with his fingertips. It sent a chill up her spine.

Seek and Akira bowed in front of Danzo and Lord Third as Kakashi shut the door behind them. They were in the meeting room, and the two elders were sitting on the couches in the middle of the room.

"Report," Danzo commanded.

"Lord Danzo, the target has been neutralized successfully, and the requested intel has been gathered." Seek said.

Akira picked up where he left off. "We confirmed that the nobles of the village involved with the operation have been receiving the majority of their funding from the village hidden in the mist. There are several other nobles and businesses within Memoshi Village that are involved with the operation. In return for the funds that were sent, the nobles have been sending the profits back to the hidden mist. However, we learned that they have also been sending intel as well. The target stated that a spy from the land of water has infiltrated out ranks, and has been sending intel to the hidden mist for the last few months. His name is Mirai Kuskin, alias is Hirshin."

"What intel has the spy been collecting?"

"Intel regarding our numbers, mission assignments, and how much information we have on the hidden mist."

Lord Third lowered his head, frowning deeply.

Danzo sneered. "Seek, you will lead a mission back to Memoshi Village tomorrow, and eliminate all other nobles and business operatives involved in the drug operation. Since half of your team is occupied elsewhere at the moment, you may choose three members of Team Ro to assist you. Fox, you will confirm that there are no others involved, and that all members of the operation are dealt with. Use any means necessary. I will see to it that this spy is eliminated promptly."