Part 17

Hey guys, thank you for your votes and comments.

Continuing from the last part,

Monami said to Karan: "I will find the opportunity to test out Shomik this morning?"

Karan shook his head: "Nahi, usse directly pucho."

Monami looked at him. Aren't they supposed to conceal their identities?

Karan glanced at her: "Do you think I'm an idiot?"

Ah, she almost forgot, this man is an expert on criminal psychology.

-

Shomik came into the room. He looked a little apprehended.

Karan asked him to sit down: "Tech department ne kl raat mujhe call kiya tha. They managed to restore some of the data from Shagun's computer, including her online diary. Usme Shagun ne mention Kiya tha ki tumne usse love confess kiya tha.. ussi raat jis raat uski death hui thi."

Shomik put down his head. He kept silent.

"Why did you conceal such an important piece of information from the police? It's a matter of integrity."

Shomik's face turned red. His head was still bowed. He sat there motionless.

Monami was engrossed in watching the two of them. Then she sees Karan blinks at her.

What is that supposed to mean? Is it her turn to speak? What is she supposed to say? She has no idea.

So Monami decided to 'interpret' the blink the way she sees fit.

She got up, poured a glass of water and passed it to Shomik.

Shomik: "...... Thank you."

Monami looked up at the Karan: "Director Shergill, kya main kuch bol sakti hoon."

Monami looked at Karan. She was not sure if this 'good cop bad cop' tactic is what he is after, but she has to act fast.

She stood beside Shomik, said softly: "Shomik tumhe nervous hone ki jarurat nahi hain. I think Director Shergill is just concerned for the wellbeing of the whole division. False statment dena.. police ko.. it can have serious consequences. Kyon na tum hume situation explain Karo taaki hum dekhe kya kar sakte hain isme."

Shomik looked up at them. With sadness in his eyes, he replied "I'm sorry. haan.. uss raat main Shagun se mila tha. Par maine expect bahi kiya tha ki woh suicide commit karegi." He clears his throat, "Company policy colleagues ki romantic relationship ho.. allow nahi karti hain.. agar found out hota aisa.. toh.. will be fired immediately. So I dare not say anything."

Karan looked to Monami. He has not read through the employee manual.

Monami nodded. Yes, there is such a provision.

Karan: "Kya tum hume bta sakte ho uss raat kya hua tha?"

Shomik's eyes were red. He was trying to hold back the tears coming to his eyes: "Uss raat.. mujhe.. I had the sudden urge to let her know how I feel. isliye main uss room me gaya Jahan wo stay kar rahi thi."

"What time was that?" Karan interrupts him.

"Around midnight. bahut late ho gya tha uss waqt.., so I glanced at my watch before I left my room. Maine dekha ki uske room ki lights on thi.. isliye mujhe pta tha ki woh hagi hui hain.."