Chapter 5- Best Secret

Scott and I parked at the curb of Laura and Neil's house. Laura walked toward us as we got out of the car. She glanced at me, then looked at Scott. Something told me she wasn't happy.

"Where is he?" Scott asked.

"Well, he could be in his room jumping up and down on his bed wearing a red hat and galoshes," Laura said.

"I don't care what Neil's doing. Where's Charlie?" Scott questioned.

"I see, I see. Well, if you can't be father of the year. Why not be Father Christmas, huh?" Laura said sarcastically as we walked inside.

"Just because you haven't seen it doesn't mean it doesn't exist."

"Hey, Neil. Hiya, sport." Scott looked at his son.

"Hi, Dad. Hi, (Y/n)." Charlie got up and hugged me.

"Wanna take a walk? I wanna talk to you," Scott explained.

"Sure. I'll go get my coat." Charlie left the room.

"Scott? Can I have a minute?" Neil asked.

"Sure."

"I think Charlie is conflicted at the moment," Neil admitted.

"Wow. Really?" Scott whistled. "I appreciate your analysis. I really do. But boy, you got more important things to worry about. You know? Like, where are you going to get more sweaters after the circus pulls out of town?"

Scott and I walked away.

"Scott." Laura chased after us. "I mean, you're not listening. We are very concerned about this."

"Concerned about what?" Scott questioned.

"This-"

"That Charlie spending time with you is the best thing for him," Neil admitted.

"Can you let the mother of the child speak, Neil? Because right now, it sounds like you're trying to make decisions for her," I said.

Laura glared at me. "We're concerned about Charlie spending time with Scott." 

~~~

Charlie, Scott, and I walked around the park near Laura's house. I don't understand that they were concerned about. Charlie had a dream. He's a kid. He's allowed to believe in Santa. When he's older, then we'll tell him.

"Do you think by next year, I'll be good enough to drive the sleigh by myself?" Charlie asked as we walked around the park.

"No," Scott deadpanned.

"But I've been practicing!" Charlie argued.

"No, that's not what I'm talking about. Charlie, hold on a second. We've got to talk about this Santa Claus thing." Scott stopped. Charlie stood in front of him. "Charlie, there is no..."

"No what, Dad?" Charlie asked innocently.

"There's no reason why we have to tell anybody about the North Pole," Scott said, making me nod in agreement.

"Why not?" Charlie asked.

"Well sometimes, some things, big things, should remain unsaid between three people-"

"Oh, like a secret," Charlie understood.

"Yes! Like a secret. Let's keep it a secret." Scott nodded.

"How come?" Charlie asked.

Scott squatted down in front of the boy. "Because of Mom and Neil. Not just because of them. There's school. Everybody thinks... Well, it's not important what they think. How does five bucks sound? This is something I really want you to do for me, sport. I want to keep this secret. Will you do that? Will you?"

"Okay, Dad." Charlie smiled.

Scott got up. "All right. Great. We don't have to worry about the Santa Claus thing anymore."

"So, when do I get the five bucks?" Charlie asked, making me smile.

I dug through my pockets, taking out my wallet. I was about to hand Charlie the money, but Scott stopped me. "You don't have to do that, (Y/n)."

I ignored him. "This is from your dad."

Charlie giggled. "Thank you."