Chapter 9

The last time I had been to Matt's house was to rehearse for our duet and his mom hadn't even seen me. Matt says that his mom never really approved of Krista in the slightest, and was very critical when it came to his relationships. She usually handled things in an "out of sight, out of mind" kind of matter. That is why as I stood at his doorstep, I couldn't stop my legs from shaking in my purple pumps.

"What if they don't like me?" I asked, tightening my grip on his hand.

"They will, Lauren." Matt smiled pushing my curled hair away from face. "And if they don't, I don't care. It isn't up to them who I have feelings for."

He pushed open the front door, and led me to the kitchen. His mom stood there in an elegant, fitted, sleeveless, black dress that fell at her knees, accessorized with golden rings and diamonds clinging to her husband, dressed similarly to Matt in a navy blue blazer and slacks. I could feel my cheeks burning as she scrutinized my attire; a hand-me-down, white, strapless bubble dress that I wore with silver hoop earrings that probably cost one percent of one of her earrings. Breaking the awkward silence, Matt clapped his hands together. "So, what's for dinner?"

---

"So, Lauren," Matt's father began. "What are you planning to do after high school?"

"It's my dream to go to Rightmond School of Music for as long as I can remember," I announced, swirling some pasta around my fork. "I am currently being considered for early acceptance."

"Is that so?" He said, nodding his head. "Impressive."

"Thank you, sir." I grinned before continuing to eat.

"New York?" Matt's mother asked skeptically.

"Yes," I replied after swallowing the bite of pasta in my mouth. "My whole family is from New York."

"I see." She mumbled, thoroughly engrossed in her gold, diamond studded cuff. "I am going to go check on the bread. Matt, come with me dear?" Matt's mom asked, gesturing towards the kitchen. Matt, being the perfect gentleman he was popped up instantly and followed her behind the swinging white door.

"Can I be honest with you?" Matt's dad asked me when his son and wife were out of earshot.

"Of course, Mr. Fletcher." I replied, feeling slightly nervous.

"Please, call me Carl." He grinned. "Anyway, I just was going to say that I was a little skeptical of you at first because of your whole onstage fiasco at the last concert," I felt my cheeks burning, but let him continue. "But you are a wonderful girl and I couldn't think of anyone I'd rather Matt date."

"Aw," I smiled. "Mr. Fletch-- I mean, Carl, you are so kind. That really means a lot to me."

After that, we ate in near silence. With Matt being gone, I felt like I didn't have much to talk about. I was scooping some more salad on to my plate when I heard shouting erupt from the kitchen.

"She's a tease!" Mrs. Fletcher shouted. "Can't you see it? She just wants to use you for your money! I saw the way she was eyeing my bracelet. I want her out of my house!"

Carl looked up at me with a look of horror. "I'm sorry," his eyes seemed to say. I could feel my eyes welling up at her stinging accusations. The worst, though, was the fact that I didn't hear Matt fighting back. I slumped over in my chair and put my face in my hands as Carl dismissed himself from the table to attempt to control the fiasco in the kitchen. 

"Tara, Tara, Tara," Carl cooed to his wife. "We have a guest. You really must control yourself."

"Right," She agreed, regaining some composure. "I just have to get through dinner." She stood up and went to the bathroom to try and fix her makeup, which had been destroyed  by her emotional fit. 

"I'll take the bread out," Matt said, pulling the warm italian bread out of the shiny platinum oven. "This was totally inappropriate, mom." He muttered when she was out of earshot.

"Sorry for the hold up, it was just a little--" Matt swung through the white kitchen door and stopped, stunned to not see me at the dining room table. "Lauren?" He called out through the enormous house. Little did he know, I was already halfway down the street. 

---

A/N: Sorry it's been so long! Random update: My baby sister was born on the 23rd! Her name is Tori and she is precious. ANDDDD she is coming home today. Yay! But back to the story, I hope you enjoyed this chapter, even if it is a bit short. Oh family disfunctions... 

Stay tuned for more! As always, comment and vote. <3