the mythology.

Sing in me, Muse, and through me tell the story
of that man skilled in all ways of contending,
the wanderer, harried for years on end...

Sing in me, Muse, and through me tell the storyof that man skilled in all ways of contending,the wanderer, harried for years on end

│ 1111 │

"THE MUSES were nine in number, the daughters of Zeus and Mnemosyne, Memory. At first, like the Graces, they were not distinguished from each other. "They are all," Hesiod says, "of one mind, their hearts are set upon song and their spirit is free from care. He is happy whom the Muses love. For though a man has sorrow and grief in his soul, yet when the servant of the Muses sings, at once he forgets his dark thoughts and remembers not his troubles. Such is the holy gift of the Muses to men."

"One day the Nine appeared to him and they told him, "We know how to speak false things that seem true, but we know, when we will, to utter true things."

-----

"...the God of Love, EROS. Homer knows nothing of him, but to Hesiod he is fairest of the deathless gods."

"In the early accounts, Eros was not Aphrodite's son, but merely her occasional companion. In the later poets, he was her son and almost invariably a mischievous, naughty boy, or worse."

"Evil his heart, but honey-sweet his tongue. No truth in him, the rogue. He is cruel in his play. Small are his hands, yet his arrows fly far as death. Tiny his shaft, but it carries heaven-high. Touch not his treacherous gifts, they are dipped in fire."

-----

"The God of Wine could be kind and beneficent. He could also be cruel and drive men on to frightful deeds. Often he made them mad."

"The worship of DIONYSUS was centered in these two ideas so far apart—of freedom and ecstatic joy, and of savage brutality. The God of Wine could give either to his worshipers. Throughout the story of his life, he is sometimes man's blessing, sometimes his ruin."

"...Wine is bad as well as good. It cheers and warms men's hearts; it also makes them drunk. The Greeks were people who saw facts very clearly. They could not shut their eyes to the ugly and degrading side of wine-drinking and see only the delightful side. Dionysus was the God of the Vine; therefore he was a power which sometimes made men commit frightful and atrocious crimes."