chapter five.

CHAPTER FIVE.
NATE

"Pay attention to your enemies, for they are the first to discover your mistakes."
—ANTISTHENES

THE clock was ticking almost ominously. The only sound, other than the uncomfortable shuffling or the occasional clearing of a throat, was that of the flames crackling inside the fireplace to my right.

The eleven of us cramped inside Edmund Horvat's office had been a customary sight for the past three years. We were sitting around the large circular table in the far right corner of his office. Books and cups of tea covered nearly all of the surface. To avoid falling asleep, I took to studying Professor Horvat's office. Its vastness collided with its crampedness, and in a way, it had always felt like the sort of place where the ordinary and extraordinary met.

Tall, unorganized bookshelves covered seventy percent of the wall space. An immense map of ancient Greece covered another ten percent. The remaining twenty percent were all crooked paintings and a white wall. Nearly all of the furniture there was old and rough around the edges.

After I was done inspecting his office with an uninspired eye I turned to him, and as always, he paid no mind to the intensity of my gaze. His eyes were set on the one empty chair on the left side of the table. I could hear the hurried tapping of his foot against the hardwood floor. He pushed his glasses up the bridge of his nose and mindlessly fiddled with the compass he always carried in the pocket of his suit jacket.

The mortified expression on his face was making him look slightly more deranged than usual, but it wasn't a significant change because Edmund already looked deranged naturally.

He was a very eccentric character, but that is a word I use because I esteem him. To everyone else, he was simply odd. He had rough features and white hair that would normally stick out in every direction. His nose was long and defined and his eyes were big and expressive. And because he was the sort of man who got overly excited about the things that he loved, he tended to make people uncomfortable with his stereotypical image of a vaguely insane philosophical professor.