Analexa Hype vs. The Teenage Mind

Author's Note: I wrote this when I was about 12 or 13 years old, so this obviously isn't the best piece of work out there. Compared to other stories that I wrote within that age, I feel proud knowing that this story doesn't have the label "hormonal tennage girl who doesn't know how to use spellcheck." However, this writing is also not my best; I like to describe this writing as one of the first forms of evidence that proves that I've grown as a writer. This story is uncompleted, and I probably won't update it anytime soon because I've lost my interest in it. However, feel free to read the first few chapters.

Almost every sane teenager cares about their looks, popularity, friends, and parties. It runs in every teenager’s blood. The need to feel wanted, liked, and loved. I spend an hour every day before school trying to look my best. Why do I even bother? No matter who you are, no matter how you look, no matter how you act, there is always someone that is better than you and there is always someone that will be prettier than you. We all strive to be perfect.

   I care about my grades. I used to be a straight A student (100% scores) but lately, my grades have been slipping. Why? I daydream too much. I can never get enough of my fantasy world. The real world is too much to bear. At times, I wonder why life is so crappy. The answer: Our decisions determine our futures.

   I care about my looks. I have an average appearance. I stand a proud 5 feet. My waist length, jet black hair is described as pretty. My piercing light grey eyes are described as pretty. My pale complexion is described as ugly. From a rank of 1-10, I am usually ranked as 8.5. You see? No matter how you look, there will always be a person in this world who will try and lower your self-esteem by telling you that you are ugly.

   My name is Analexa Hype (Anna-lex-a Hi-y-p), and I am on a mission. My mission? My mission is to determine why humans spend their teenage lives trying to change who they are to impress others.

   No matter how many times you say that you are happy being who you are, there is always a little voice in your head telling you otherwise. If you are happy with your blonde hair, an unknown voice in your head will tell you would look prettier with red hair. Let’s call this ‘voice’ your shadow. Your shadow will always try to bring you down. It will make you feel vulnerable at times. Everybody has a shadow. It all depends on how much you listen to your shadow.

   This morning, I straightened my hair. My shadow had told me that I look too plain with straight hair. My shadow told me that my hair looked stringy.

‘Is this true?’ I thought to myself. I went back and added a few curls to my hair.

   This morning, my shadow had won a battle. I was naïve to believe that my hair looked stringy. But that’s what happens. No matter who you are, no matter how high your self-esteem is, no matter how much self-confidence you have, your shadow will always be there to bring you down.