Chapter Five - Part 2

We arrive in Centennial Olympic Park in no time. It's almost an hour away from the cemetery, but we don't even realize we've been running so long. My lungs are burning so bad I can barely breathe, but I'm glad those Zombies didn't see us or follow us. I don't think that, in case of chase or attack, I could have made it out alive again. I can't feel my legs anymore, and my back and feet hurt.

As soon as we get to the center of the park, I can't stand it anymore and sit down on a bench, or more like throw myself on it.

Ace scans our surroundings to make sure we're safe, then sits down next to me. We both stare in the direction we came from. There isn't anything but trees, but you never know.

This park is home to some of the city's most important structures, such as the Georgia Aquarium, the Center for Civil and Human Rights, the World of Coca-Cola, CNN studios, and the Fountain of Rings.

Most have been abandoned for months now, but many endangered animal species have managed to survive in the aquarium, thanks to advanced technology, and the fact that food is served automatically as long as the tanks are full. It is the only facility that has not been destroyed, either by the government or by Zombies. Perhaps deep down, they both understand the importance of it and the animals within.

"You know, I've always lived here, but there are a lot of places I've never visited."

I smile, this revelation was everything I've been waiting for so I could do something other than run away, plus I know the perfect place to go and hide.

"What time is it?" I get up and stand in front of him and his frowning gaze.

"I don't know, but it looks like we still have a couple of hours before sunset, why?" He asks suspiciously, tilting his head to the side to get a better look at me. I lose myself in his ruby red gaze before grabbing his arm and pulling him towards me, making him stand up.

"Come on." I drag him behind me as I walk toward a path in the middle of the park.

"Where?"

"To hide and use the excuse to visit the places in the city you've never had a chance to visit. Of course, within the limits of what's possible." He smiles, never ceasing to scan our surroundings. He doesn't seem entirely convinced, but he's figured out where we're going and approves, I can see it in his face.

The first thing we see, after five minutes of walking, is the World of Coca-Cola. We spot its huge building with two skyscrapers connected to it. It's not in bad shape, it doesn't even look abandoned even though it is. Next to the building is a huge swimming pool, and the water in it is crystal clear, it must have automatic purifiers.

This is not the place I intended to go and hide, but since it's the closest we approach the front door hoping it's open. Obviously, it is not. Ace tries to pull, but I stop him, not wanting to break the door, thus allowing the Zombies to enter. I prefer to think that they haven't desecrated these places that have been sacred to me since I was a little girl, so we go to the aquarium, not far from the World of Coca-Cola.

Seen from a certain angle, the main structure of the aquarium, seems to be shaped like a ship.

I already know that the main door of this building is closed, but there is another way to enter. At the back of the building one of the panels moves. When I was little, I used it to sneak inside at night. I couldn't afford a ticket, and that entrance assured me a free visit. I'd also learned how to evade the cameras, but now this professional spy skill of mine certainly isn't going to help.

I let Ace in first, then follow him.

We walk for a while in a narrow corridor, stuck between the paneled wall and the thin layer of concrete. The cables we have to avoid by ducking, crawling, or even stepping over them, avoiding being touched lest we get shocked, almost look like snakes hanging from tree branches. When I was a kid I had a very vivid imagination and I used to have a lot of fun making up stories in these places and having pretend adventures.